|Frequency||92.1 mHz FM|
|First air date||1995|
|Owner||Muslim Community Radio Inc.|
Muslim Community Radio (callsign 2MFM) is a community radio station based in Chester Hill and broadcasts to Sydney on a citywide licence. It is a volunteer run organisation and is funded mostly through listener support. It is co-located with Darulfatwa - Islamic High Council of Australia and Salamah College.
The station is linked with Darulfatwa - Islamic High Council of Australia. The station first broadcast under a temporary licence during Ramadan and Dhu al-Hijjah beginning in 1995 and then added a weekly Friday broadcast in 1997. A full community broadcasting licence was granted on 24 May 2001. In 2011, the Australian National Imams Council requested that the radio station not have its licence renewed due to ties with Al-Ahbash and because of its promotion of "sectarian fringe views". However, the Australian Communications and Media Authority granted a 5-year license in 2011, which drew criticism from Islamic groups.
Muslim Community Radio broadcasts primarily in Arabic and English.It also offers a multicultural & multilingual service, broadcasting in Indonesian, Turkish, Urdu and in the Iraqi dialect. The station covers Islamic religious teaching and festivals along with educational and cultural programming.
- "2MFM – About Us". 2MFM. 2008. Archived from the original on 26 July 2008. Retrieved 28 July 2008.
- "Multicultural Bankstown Strategy". Bankstown City Council. 2007. Archived from the original on 21 August 2008. Retrieved 28 July 2008.
- "Radio station causes Muslim turf war". The Age. 25 November 2005. Retrieved 11 March 2017.
- O'Brien, Natalie (11 March 2017). "Muslims call for 'radical' radio station to be closed". The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Norrie, Justin (22 May 2011). "Muslim radio stays on airwaves". The Sydney Morning Herald.
- "Muslim Community Radio Wins Timely Award". CBonline. 11 December 2006. Archived from the original on 21 July 2008. Retrieved 28 July 2008.
|This article about a radio station in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|