2M (TV channel)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Europe and Middle East (through 2M Monde)
|Headquarters||Aïn Sebaâ, Casablanca, Morocco|
|Language(s)||Arabic, French, Tamazight|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)|
|Owner||Bank of Africa (45.3%)|
Government of Morocco (32.5%)
Al Mada (22.2%)
|Launched||March 4, 1989|
|DTT (Morocco)||Channel 2 (SD)|
|CASSETTE Audio Video Visual||CD-VCD|
|Ziggo GO||ZiggoGO.tv (Netherlands only)|
2M is a Moroccan free-to-air television network. It was established by the royal-owned conglomerate, ONA, before being partly sold to the Moroccan state. Of 2M, 45.3% is owned by Atlas Benjelloun's holding company SNI, while approximately 32.5% is controlled by the Moroccan state. It is based in Casablanca.
2M was set up as a second national television channel with the aim of promoting competition and diversity in Moroccan audio-visual broadcasting.
2M started its programmes officially on 4 March 1989. It used to be a cable channel broadcasting unscrambled twice a day. After 7 years of activity, SOREAD (ONA group), the major shareholder, withdrew from the management of this TV channel due to financial reasons. The Moroccan state took over the control of 2M with a participation of 68% in its capital. This takeover was supported by a major effort to develop the audio-visual sector.
Radio 2M is the companion radio channel to 2M, presenting music, news, and information directly from Morocco in Arabic and French.
2M challenged taboos by debating controversial issues and established a reputation for itself as a symbol of freedom of speech in Morocco. The channel regularly broadcasts news, films, sports and music. It is a government-controlled public TV station and it has been alleged that the government also controls editorial choices.
2M has two separate feeds: one available nationwide via terrestrial television, and a satellite feed under the branding 2M Monde (French for lit. 2M World). Both feeds have the same local shows but are aired at different times. 2M Monde does not broadcast Hollywood movies and American TV shows because the network only buys their broadcasting rights for within Morocco.
The channel gained controversy when on 23 November 2016, it aired a segment on its morning show Sabahiyat 2M, on how to cover beaten bruises with makeup on the International Day to Eliminate Violence Against Women. 2M apologized on 28 November for airing the segment, calling it an "error in judgment."
2M in figures
- Personnel: 500 people, including 30% executives;
- Coverage: 80% of the population;
- Capital: 302,371,500 Moroccan dirham (€27,008,467 / £18,228,395 / US$36,750,427), including 68% owned by the state and 20.7% owned by Mohammed VI's holding SNI.
List of American and European TV shows broadcast by the local version of 2M (which may change time by time):
- Buffy (Buffy contre les vampires)
- CSI (Les Experts)
- CSI: NY (Les Experts : Manhattan)
- CSI: Miami (Les Experts : Miami)
- Cuenta Atràs (Arabic: العد العكسي) (Moroccan dubbing)
- Dark Angel
- Desperate Housewives
- Gossip Girl
- Instant Star (Ma vie de star)
- Just Cause (En quête de justice)
- Law & Order (New York District)
- Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (New York unité spéciale)
- Los hombres de Paco (Arabic: باكو) (Moroccan dubbing)
- Mad Men
- Maid in Manhattan (Amour à Manhattan)
- Más sabe el diablo (L'Ange du diable, El Diablo)
- NCIS (NCIS : Enquêtes spéciales)
- Un paso adelante (Un, dos, tres) (Arabic dubbing)
- Prison Break
- Rubí (Arabic dubbing)
- Stargate Atlantis
- The 4400 (Les 4400)
- The Invisible Man (Invisible Man)
- The O.C. (Newport beach)
- The Shield
- The Simpsons
- Ugly Betty
- Vermist (Arabic: وحدة المفقودين) (Moroccan dubbing)
American TV shows and Hollywood movies are imported from France with French dubbing. Some Mexican and Turkish TV shows are dubbed locally in Moroccan Arabic.
Besides American TV shows, 2M also airs a selection of Turkish, Indian and other foreign shows also dubbed in Moroccan Arabic, including Sapne Suhane Ladakpan Ke, Saat Phere: Saloni Ka Safar, Vaidehi, Ghar Ki Lakshmi Betiyann, Beni Affet (Arabic: سامحيني), Avenida Brasil and Larin izbor. 2M's children's programming block ("2M Kids") also includes foreign TV shows also dubbed in French or in Moroccan Arabic, such as Célestin, Braceface, Oggy and the Cockroaches, Zig and Sharko, Bernard, Atomic Puppet, Furiki and 1001 Nights. All of the aforementioned shows are broadcast on both the local and satellite versions of the channel.
- "Audiovisuel : L'État et la SNI refusent de recapitaliser 2M". L'Economiste (in French). 2017-04-27. Retrieved 2022-03-02.
- "2M". maroc.mom-rsf.org. Retrieved 2022-03-02.
- "Societe Nationale d'Investissement : Etats Financiers Sociaux" (PDF). Cdvm.gov.ma. 31 December 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 December 2013. Retrieved 2016-03-28.
- "Moroccan TV airs makeup tips for women to hide spousal abuse". CBS News. Associated Press. 28 November 2016. Retrieved 6 April 2021.