2 Days in New York
|2 Days in New York|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Julie Delpy|
|Based on||original characters
by Julie Delpy
|Edited by||Julie Delpy|
|Distributed by||Magnolia Pictures|
Parisian Marion is living in New York with her son, in order to be closer to Jack, the boy's father (Marion's ex-boyfriend from 2 Days in Paris). She and her new boyfriend Mingus have a cozy relationship until the arrival of Marion's father, sister and sister's boyfriend, on vacation from France. The group's two days together are tested by "unwitting racism and sexual frankness", with no one left unscathed.
- Chris Rock as Mingus
- Julie Delpy as Marion
- Albert Delpy as Jeannot (Marion's father)
- Alexia Landeau as Rose (Marion's sister)
- Alexandre Nahon as Manu (Rose's boyfriend)
- Malinda Williams as Elizabeth (Mingus's sister)
- Arthur French as Lee Robinson (Mingus's father)
- Kate Burton as Bella
- Dylan Baker as Ron
- Daniel Brühl as The Oak Fairy
- Vincent Gallo as himself
Albert Delpy is Julie Delpy's real-life father.
Festival and theatrical releases
2 Days in New York premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on January 23, 2012. The film was shown April 26, 2012 at the Tribeca Film Festival and May 21, 2012 at the Seattle International Film Festival.
According to Steve Rose of The Guardian, "Delpy's alter ego Marion" is a "lovable mess of neurotic babble, intellectual uncertainty and unmanageable lies"; the film is a "delightfully eccentric comedy,...big on laughs, low on pretense, exaggerated but emotionally sincere—not least in Delpy's dealing with the death of her mother (in real life as well as in the movie). We've rarely seen comedy this smart since Woody Allen and Seinfeld left New York." Total Film's Neil Smith said the film is a "haphazard meditation on Franco-American relations, which hurls screwball situations, oddball cameos and the odd one-liner liberally at the screen without much caring if any of them stick." Smith concludes "what it all adds up to is an anything goes take on modern relationships with a side order of broad stereotype. Expect to be amused and bemused in equal quantities and you’ll be amply entertained."
- "2 Days in New York". Box Office Mojo.
- "2 Days in New York". Films & Events. Seattle International Film Festival. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "2 Days in New York". Sundance Film Festival. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- "Julie Delpy Movies and Career Information". mrmovietimes.com. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Coyle, Jake (April 27, 2012). "Q&A: Delpy, Rock discuss 2 Days in New York". Associated Press. Salon. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (February 16, 2012). "2 Teaser Trailers For Julie Delpy’s ‘2 Days In New York’ With Chris Rock". IndieWire.
- Smith, Neil (May 8, 2012). "2 Days In New York – The follow-up to 2007 romcom 2 Days In Paris". Total Film. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Dawtrey, Adam (February 16, 2012). "NonStop nabs Sundance features". Variety. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
- Rose, Steve (May 17, 2012). "2 Days in New York – review". The Guardian. Retrieved 2012-05-19.