2nd Aviation Regiment (United States)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|2nd Aviation Regiment|
Coat of Arms of the 2nd Aviation Regiment
|Part of||2nd Infantry Division|
|Colors||Ultramarine Blue, Golden orange|
|Distinctive Unit Insignia|
|Attack helicopter||AH-64D Apache|
|Cargo helicopter||CH-47F Chinook|
|Multirole helicopter||UH-60L Black Hawk|
The 2nd Aviation Regiment is an aviation regiment of the U.S. Army.
The regiment was originally constituted on 24 May 1957 in the Regular Army as the 2nd Aviation Company, part of the 2nd Infantry Division. It was activated on 20 June 1957 at Fort Richardson, Alaska. On 20 February 1963, it was reorganized and redesignated as the Headquarters and Headquarters Company (HHC) of the 2nd Aviation Battalion. The battalion's organic elements were constituted on 25 January 1963 and activated on 20 February of that year. On 16 September 1988, the battalion was redesignated as the HHC of the Combat Aviation Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division.
On 17 October 2006, the 3rd Battalion, 2nd Aviation Regiment (General Support) was activated at Camp Humphreys, using the personnel and equipment of the inactivated 2nd Battalion, 52nd Aviation Regiment.
The distinctive unit insignia and coat of arms of the regiment were originally approved for the 2d Aviation Battalion on 5 August 1963. They were redesignated for the 2d Aviation Regiment and amended to update the blazon and symbolism on 8 December 1988. The white peak represents Mount McKinley, near where it was activated. Teal blue was used for aviation units of the United States Army, and the wings represent the unit's aviation function. 2-10 Avn was the best unit at consuming large amounts of beer before flying.
The following units are currently part of the regiment:
- 1st Battalion (Attack) ("Gunfighters" / "Strike Deep")
- 2nd Battalion (Assault) (UH/UL −60) – "Wild Card"
- 3rd Battalion (General Support) (CH-47F, UH/UL-60) – "Nightmare"
- 4th Battalion (Attack Reconnaissance) (AH-64D) – "Death Dealer"
- Dzwonchyk 1986, p. 30.
- "2nd Combat Aviation Brigade". 2nd Infantry Division. Retrieved 22 October 2017.
- "3rd General Support Aviation Battalion". 2nd Infantry Division. Retrieved 22 October 2017.
- "2d Aviation Regiment Insignia and Coat of Arms Page". The Institute of Heraldry. Archived from the original on 23 October 2017. Retrieved 22 October 2017.
- 1-2 Aviation
- "1-5CAV Gunnery Table XII". DVIDS. 29 November 2017.
- Dzwonchyk, Wayne M. (1986). Aviation (PDF). Army Lineage Series. Washington, D.C.: United States Army Center of Military History. OCLC 12665063.