2nd Battalion, 10th Marines
|2nd Battalion 10th Marines|
|Active||11 April 1941 – present|
|Allegiance||United States of America|
|Branch||United States Marine Corps|
|Role||Provide fires in support of 2nd Marine Division|
|Part of||10th Marine Regiment
2nd Marine Division
|Garrison/HQ||Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune|
|Motto(s)||"Second to None"|
|LtCol Garrett L. Benson|
2nd Battalion 10th Marines (2/10) is an artillery battalion of the United States Marine Corps comprising three firing batteries and a headquarters battery. The battalion is stationed at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina and its primary weapon system is the M777A2 howitzer with a maximum effective range of 30 km. They fall under the command of the 10th Marine Regiment and 2nd Marine Division.
- Headquarters Battery
- Battery E (Echo Battery)
- Battery F (Fox Battery)
- Battery G (Golf Battery)
- Battery L (Lima Battery) (assigned to 3rd Battalion, 10th Marines prior to battalion deactivation)
World War II
The 2nd Battalion 10th Marines was activated on April 11, 1941 as the 4th Battalion 10th Marines. They were deployed with the 6th Marine Regiment to Iceland from Spring 1941 to Spring 1942. In December 1942, they deployed to the Pacific theater. On July 20, 1945 they were re-designated as the 2nd Battalion 10th Marines.
The 2nd Battalion 10th Marines participated in the following World War II battles:
- Battle of Tarawa
- Battle of Guadalcanal
- Battle of Saipan
- Battle of Tinian
- Battle of Okinawa
- Occupation of Japan
Post World War II
In July 1946, 2/10 relocated to Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. From 1951 to present, they participated in LF6F deployments: the Cuban Missile Crisis (October - November 1962), the intervention in the Dominican Republic (April - May 1965), Operation Desert Storm (December 1990 - April 1991), Operation Phantom Fury, and the Battle of Abu Ghraib (April 2005) as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom.
The battalion again deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) from January to September 2007. During this time they were based out of Camp Fallujah. In January 2009 the battalion again deployed to Iraq as a civil affairs group in support of OIF. During this deployment they were based out of Al Asad Airbase.
A unit citation or commendation is an award bestowed upon an organization for the action cited. Members of the unit who participated in said actions are allowed to wear on their uniforms the awarded unit citation. 2/10 has been presented with the following awards:
|Presidential Unit Citation|
|Navy Unit Commendation|
|American Defense Service Medal|
|Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with four Bronze Stars|
|World War II Victory Medal|
|Navy Occupation Service Medal with Asia clasp|
|National Defense Service Medal with 2 Bronze Stars|
|Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with Bronze Star|
|Southwest Asia Service Medal with three Bronze Stars|
|Iraq Campaign Medal with 5 Bronze stars|
|Global War on Terrorism Service Medal|
Notable former members
- Charles E. Phillips - President of the Oracle Corporation and member of President Obama's Economic Recovery Advisory Board.
- Cpl Murray, Joshua (2007-11-20). "2nd Battalion, 10th Marines fire new howitzers". United States Marine Corps. Retrieved 2007-11-21.[dead link]
- 2/10 Marines return homae after deployment Archived December 1, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Marines provide Delaram II security".
- Hoge, Patrick (22 January 2010). "Oracle prez's affair exposed by billboards". The Sacramento Business Journal. Retrieved 22 January 2010.
- This article incorporates public domain material from websites or documents of the United States Marine Corps.