2nd Light Cruiser Squadron (United Kingdom)
|2nd Light Cruiser Squadron|
|Engagements||Battle of Jutland|
The 2nd Light Cruiser Squadron was a naval formation of light cruisers of the Royal Navy from 1914 to 1925.
World War One
Originally part of the Grand Fleet, the squadron fought at the Battle of Jutland, where it was commanded by William Goodenough and consisted of Southampton (flagship), Birmingham, Nottingham and Dublin.
Following the battle, the squadron undertook patrol duties in the North Sea. Later in 1916, the Australian cruisers HMAS Melbourne and HMAS Sydney joined the squadron. It which saw action against German airships and light aircraft during 1917 and 1918.
The squadron was attached to Battle Cruiser Fleet from January 1915 until November 1916 when that formation was renamed Battle Cruiser Force it remained attached BC Force until February 1919. The Squadron was then disbanded for two months before reforming as part of the Home Fleet it was assigned to screening duties of the Third Battle Squadron until July 1919. It remained attached to the Home Fleet until October 1919 when it was transferred to the Atlantic Fleet. In 1925 it was re-designated 2nd Cruiser Squadron.
Post holders included:
|Commodore/Rear-Admiral, Commanding 2nd Light Cruiser Squadron|
|1||Commodore, 2nd Class||Trevylyan D. W. Napier||1 July, 1913 – 1 December, 1913|
|2||Rear-Admiral||Trevylyan D. W. Napier||28 December, 1914 – 8 February, 1915|
|3||Commodore, 1st Class||Cecil F. Lambert||25 December, 1916 – 23 February, 1918|
|4||Rear-Admiral||James A. Fergusson||9 May, 1918|
|5||Rear-Admiral||Alexander Duff||14 May, 1919|
|6||Rear-Admiral||Wilmot S. Nicholson||14 May, 1921 – 15 May, 1923|
|7||Rear-Admiral||Thomas D. Gilbert||15 May, 1923 – 15 May, 1925|
|2||Battle Cruiser Fleet||01/1915-11/1916||as part of the Grand Fleet|
|3||Battle Cruiser Force||11/1916-02/1919||as part of the Grand Fleet|
|4||Home Fleet||04-1919-10/1919||on protection duties 3rd Battle Squadron|
|6||Home Fleet||05/1925||redesignated 2nd Cruiser Squadron|
- "The Grand Fleet". Richthofen.com. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- "Battle of Jutland Order of Battle". Worldwar1.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-09-04.
- Harley, Simon; Lovell, Tony. "Second Light Cruiser Squadron (Royal Navy) - The Dreadnought Project". dreadnoughtproject.org. Harley and Lovell, 9 November 2017. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Smith, Gordon. "Royal Navy Organisation and Ship Deployment, Inter-War Years 1919-1939". www.naval-history.net. Gordon Smith, 2 September 2015. Retrieved 18 February 2018.
- Macki, Colin. "Senior Royal Navy Appointments from 1865". gulabin.com. Colin Mackie, December 2107. Retrieved 22 December 2017.
- Smith, Gordon. "Royal Navy Organisation and Ship Deployments 1900-1914". www.naval-history.net. Gordon Smith, 8 August 2015. Retrieved 12 March 2018.
- Smith, Gordon. "Royal Navy Organisation and Ship Deployment, Inter-War Years 1919-1939". www.naval-history.net. Gordon Smith, 2 September 2015. Retrieved 12 March 2018.