2nd United States Sharpshooters
|2nd United States Sharpshooters|
|Active||September 1861 to December 31, 1864|
Second Battle of Bull Run
Battle of Antietam
Battle of Fredericksburg
Battle of Chancellorsville
Battle of Gettysburg
Battle of the Wilderness
Battle of Spotsylvania Court House
Battle of Cold Harbor
Siege of Petersburg
The 2nd United States Sharpshooters was a sharpshooter regiment that served in the Union Army during the American Civil War. From 1861 to January 1863 they were members of the "First Iron Brigade" also known as the "Iron Brigade of the East".
The 2nd U.S. Sharpshooters was raised as follows:
- Company "A" in Minnesota on October 5, 1861.
- Company "B" in Michigan on October 4, 1861.
- Company "C" in Pennsylvania on October 4, 1861
- Company "D" in Maine on November 2, 1861.
- Company "E" in Vermont on November 9, 1861.
- Company "F" in New Hampshire on November 28, 1861.
- Company "G" in New Hampshire on December 10, 1861.
- Company "H" in Vermont on December 31, 1861.
The 2nd and the 1st United States Volunteer Sharpshooter Regiment were consolidated on December 31, 1864, and the regiment was broken up on February 20, 1865, and the remaining companies distributed as follows:
- Company "A" transferred to the 1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- Company "B" transferred to the 5th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- Company "C" transferred to the 105th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- Company "D" transferred to the 17th Maine Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- Company "F" transferred to the 5th New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry.
- Company "G" transferred to the 5th New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry.
- Company "H" transferred to the 4th Vermont Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
Total strength and casualties
The regiment suffered 8 officers and 110 enlisted men who were killed in action or mortally wounded and 2 officers and 123 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 250 fatalities.
- Colonel Hiram Berdan in 1861
- Colonel Henry A V Post from January 1, 1862, to November 16, 1862
- Colonel Hiram Berdan from November 16, 1862, until 1864
- List of United States Volunteer Civil War Units
- 1st United States Volunteer Sharpshooter Regiment
- Western Sharpshooters Regiment
- 1st Regiment Michigan Volunteer Sharpshooters
- 1st Pennsylvania Rifles, aka the 13th Pennsylvania Reserve Regiment
- Thomas Yoseloff (1959). A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. 3. New York.