The 2Suit was invented by Vanna Bonta in 2006 after she experienced microgravity during a parabolic flight that she flew with the National Space Society in 2004. Bonta presented the garment design in 2006 on a panel at a New Space conference of the Space Frontier Foundation.
The documentary described the 2Suit as "one small step for humankind colonizing the universe." The garment was presented as a utilitarian garment with multiple applications that serves the need for human intimacy and procreation by stabilizing physical proximity in microgravity environments.
The 2suit is equipped to fasten to a stable surface. The roominess within the garment is adjustable from within. It also is lined with inner harnesses that can adjust the proximity of various points of the wearer's body to the body of another 2suit wearer. A quick-disrobe function removes the garments, optionally leaving the harnesses in place for fixing to a stable surface.
Function and purpose
The function of the 2suit is to allow two or more people to remain in proximity effortlessly in weightless or microgravity environments, permitting physical intimacy and facilitating tandem or adjacent tasks.
References in popular culture
- Outerspace sex carries complications by Alan Boyle, Science editor NBC News 24 July 2006
- Sex in Space, by Laura S. Woodmansee, CG Publishing, 2006
- Space Frontier Foundation Archived 2015-06-15 at the Wayback Machine NewSpace 2006
- Outside Magazine December 2006 issue
- The History Channel Season 3 Episode guide; Sex in Space
- Sex in Space, by Laura S. Woodmansee, description by Bonta, p. 64
- WIRED UK Science News Archived 2014-05-05 at the Wayback Machine A two-seater suit for space-lovers, by Giorgia Scaturro; April 30, 2009
- 7 Real Suits That Will Soon Make the World A Cooler Place by Soren Bowie, Cracked; 15 November 2010
- The Zero G Spot Archived September 19, 2010, at the Wayback Machine Outside Magazine, by Michael Behar, December 2006
- Metro.UK, by Fiona MacDonald
- The 400-mile high club The Sunday Times, by Richard Johnson; October 7, 2007
- Sex in space: how to do it right
- Space Fashions Vol. 2: Sexy Space Suits? by Richard Lamb Discovery News; 16 December 2009
- Scaturro, Giorgia (27 April 2009). "Lo spazio, mai stato così sexy" (in Italian). Archived from the original on 2009-04-30.
- Sesso nello spazio? Per gli astronauti arriva la tuta 2Suit Archived 2009-07-03 at the Wayback Machine, by Giovanni Carzana; CiaoPeople Magazine, Italy; 27 April 2009
- Binary Bits – 2suit EP Music Review, album release by Graham Major, Potholes in My Blog; February 14, 2012
- Music Album Track 1 - 2Suit Binary Bits – 2suit; February 2012
- Anti-Gravity Love EP 22 June 2012
- 2suit Adds New Meaning to the Mother of Invention, by Jennipher Adkins; Inventors Digest May 2009; Vol. 25 Issue 5
- Vanna Bonta Talks Sex In Space, by Femail Magazine, Celebrity Interview, 2 December 2008
- The Universe - Sex in Space; History Channel, Season 3 episodes List
Notes (International 2Suit articles)
- La fantasía del sexo en gravedad cero PERU21; 29 August 2012
- S’envoyer en l’air dans l’espace Par Kieron Monks, Metro World News; 11 Avril 2012
- Seks in de ruimte: is het mogelijk?, By Caroline Hoek; 7 April 2012
- Wakacje w Kosmosie? Dajcie sobie z tym spokój!, by Tomasz Rożek, GAZETA; 17 October 2011
- Oλοσωμη φόρμα για ερωτικές περιπτύξεις στο Διάστημα Space Travels; 16 February 2011
- Tener bebés en el espacio podría ser peligroso FayerWayer, (Science Feature) Boxbyte en Ciencia, Destacados; October 2010
- Haben Astronauten eigentlich Sex im All? BILD magazine; 3 July 2010
- Intergalactisch hoogtepunt Desterren Nieuws, by Bert Carrein; 22 April 2010