Self Portrait, by 2wenty in 2013
George Barshid Mccollon
2wenty is an American mixed-media artist and photographer from Los Angeles. He is known for using light as the central theme in his work. 2wenty comes from a background in lighting television and film which gives him an intimate understanding of how light works. The sources of light he utilizes for his light paintings are handmade, as well as creating the LED paintings by hand. His works can be viewed both nationally and internationally in Los Angeles, Miami, and London.
2wenty first emerged in 2011, when his Facebook Social Cigarettes posters started appearing in technology blogs all over the internet and on the streets of Los Angeles and San Francisco. The posters featured a pack of cigarettes with the Facebook logo and a tag that read, "Social Cigarettes." He created over one hundred of the posters, comparing Facebook consumption with that of "cancer sticks." 2wenty also created three-dimensional versions of the posters, complete with a surgeon general warning, "Facebook may cause loss of time, poor work ethic, obesity, social disorder and possible interference of destiny. Use at your own risk."
2wenty has had multiple collaborations with fellow aritst, Gregory Siff, in addition to This Means Mar. In December 2013, 2wenty was invited by Mar to show and create one of his "signature" light paintings at his solo show 'I Crave Love', which was held at Lab Art Gallery in Los Angeles.
His works have been exhibited in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Washington D.C. and at Miami's Art Basel. He has been featured in Forbes, Beverly Hills Lifestyle Magazine, LA Canvas, Leveled Magazine, Melrose and Fairfax, Gawker and as background themes for the, "My Yahoo", main page on Yahoo.com.
2wenty expands his oeuvre into light painting photography. Through long exposures, the camera captures not only the subject, but also the source of light the artist moves across his "canvas". Within these detailed images," There is a depth and other worldliness that records both place and passage of time", says 2wenty.
- Sketch for Japan,Project 1 Gallery, San Francisco, March 21st, 2011
- Above the Radar, Crewest Gallery, Los Angeles, April 2nd, 2011
- Rise Japan, Arc gallery, San Francisco, April 7th, 2011
- Street Heart, The Fold, Los Angeles, April 22nd, 2011
- "What Graffiti is to New York - Street Art is to Los Angeles", Maximillian at Sunset Marque, Hollywood, May 28th, 2011
- Friendly Fire, Le Spec Gallery, Los Angeles, July 9th, 2011
- 80/20, LA Canvas Headquarters, Los Angeles, October 20th, 2011
- Above the Radar II, The Fridge, Washington DC, November 5th, 2011
- G by Gregory Siff (collaboration), LA Founderie, Los Angeles, November 11th, 2011
- New Urban Voices, Maximillian at Sunset Marque, Hollywood, March 31st, 2012
- Venice Art Walk & Auctions, Bergamot Station, Santa Monica, April 27th, 2012
- Act Social, Active Ride Shop, Santa Monica, May 11th, 2012
- Denim Canvas, The Standard Hollywood, Los Angeles, June 15th, 2012
- Matter of Time by Gregory Siff (collaboration), Gallery Brown, West Hollywood, October 20th, 2012
- The Art of Elysium and Christie's, Pieces of Heaven, (featured in the live auction by Chrisite's), Los Angeles, February 20th, 2013
- Red Bull Canvas Cooler, Factory West, Hollywood, March 28th, 2013
- Donuts with Dawn Kasper, For Your Art in Conjunction with LACMA, Hollywood, April 20th, 2013
- Canvas Streets, Destroy, Rebuild, Repeat Gallery, Santa Monica, April 27th, 2013
- Between Paint and Light, 2wenty X Gregory Siff, Loakal Gallery, Oakland, May 3rd, 2013
- American All Stars, Gallery Brown, West Hollywood, May 18th, 2013
- Venice Art Walk and Auctions Surf and Skate, Robert Berman Gallery @ Bergamot Station, Santa Monica, August 29th, 2013
- Urban Influences in Contemporary Art, Ian Ross Gallery, San Francisco, September 27th, 2013
- Wish, Group Exhibition, The Gabba Gallery, Los Angeles, November 16, 2013
- One Love, Woven Accents, West Hollywood, February 13, 2014
- Pieces of Heaven By Art of Elysium, Siren Studios, Los Angeles, February 26, 2014
- Thanks For the Memories, Solo Show, Gallery Brown, Los Angeles, May 17, 2014
- Surf & Skate Auctioin, Robert Berman Gallery, Bergamot Station, Santa Monica, August 28, 2014
- Skate & Create, Flower Pepper Gallery, Pasadena, August 30, 2014
- Everyone Pays, Stone Malone Gallery, West Hollywood, October 3, 2014
- Art Basel House, Art Basel, Miami, Florida, December 2, 2014
- Drawbridge: Art Program For Homeless Children, Zener Schan Gallery, Mill Valley, CA, December 11, 2014
- Pieces of Heaven by Art of Elysium, Mama Gallery, Downtown Los Angeles, February 17, 2015
- "2Wenty Street Art SF". Street Art SF. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "'Social Cigarettes' Street Artist Admits Facebook Addiction". LAist. Archived from the original on 3 August 2014. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "FishbowlLA". mediabistro.com. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "I Crave Love: A Solo Show At Lab Art LA, Shop Hex Blog, December 2013". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2015-09-16.
- This Means Mar
- "2wenty: Street Art Gallery". The Site Unscene. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Art Basel House: Epicenter For Street Art, Happening Mag, December 2014
- "20 Questions with 2wenty". according2g.com. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- TJ McCue. "Facebook "cigarettes" - In Photos: Facebook Street Art". Forbes. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Kashmir Hill (6 April 2011). "L.A. Street Artist's Unfiltered Take on Facebook: 'Social Cigarettes'". Forbes. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "Light Drawing Photography by 2wenty". Leveled Magazine. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "MELROSEandFAIRFAX: Hooked Up - Free Street Art from 2wenty". melroseandfairfax.blogspot.com. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- "Between Paint and Light: 2wenty and Gregory Siff at Loakal". oaklandartmurmur.org. Retrieved 29 March 2015.
- Light Drawing Photography by 2wenty