|Song by Beastie Boys from the album Paul's Boutique|
|Released||July 25, 1989|
|Genre||Hip hop, psychedelic hip hop|
|Paul's Boutique track listing|
"3-Minute Rule" is the 7th track on the album Paul's Boutique by American hip hop group the Beastie Boys, released on July 25, 1989. The track was produced and written by the Beastie Boys & the Dust Brothers, and engineered by Mario Caldato & Allen Abrahamson.
Despite its title, the song is actually 3 minutes 39 seconds. It begins with the sound of what is apparently a ping-pong ball being hit back and forth. Then Mike D raps from about the 0:12 mark to around the 1:12 mark. MCA follows from about 1:14 to 2:00. Finally, Ad-Rock takes over from around 2:09 and continues to 3:07, followed by another half minute of music.
Incidentally, it is one of the few Beastie Boys tracks where each member has a standalone verse.
- Patrin, Nate. "Paul's Boutique". pitchfork.com. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- "Paul's Boutique". rateyourmusic.com. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- Wade, Ian. "Beastie Boys Paul's Boutique 20th Anniversary Edition Remastered Review". bbc.com.uk. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- "Paul's Boutique (20th Anniversary Edition)". amazon.com. Retrieved 23 December 2013.
- "3-Minute Rule". allmusic.com. Retrieved 23 December 2013.