|Discovered by||P. Pravec|
|Discovery site||Ondřejov Obs.|
|Discovery date||28 July 2001|
|MPC designation||(30564) Olomouc|
|2001 OC77 · 1991 ER2
|Orbital characteristics |
|Epoch 13 January 2016 (JD 2457400.5)|
|Uncertainty parameter 0|
|Observation arc||24.78 yr (9,050 days)|
|4.19 yr (1,529 days)|
|Dimensions||±1.5 km (calculated) 4.5|
30564 Olomouc (Czech: [ˈolomoʊ̯ts]) provisionally designated 2001 OC77, is an asteroid from the inner regions of the asteroid belt. It was discovered by Czech astronomer Petr Pravec on July 28, 2001 at Ondřejov Observatory and was named after Olomouc, a city in central Moravia, the Czech Republic, where the discoverer lived.
The citation accompanying the suggestion of the name and published in the Minor Planet Circular on 6 January 2003 said: "The city of Olomouc is the center of Hanakia in the heart of Moravia. The seat of Catholic bishops since 1063 and Moravian primates since 1777, it has been home to a university since 1573, now called Palacký University."
The asteroid orbits the Sun at a distance of 2.2–3.0 AU once every 4 years and 2 months (1,529 days). Its orbit shows an eccentricity of 0.14 and an inclination of 4 degrees from the plane of the ecliptic. Little is known about the asteroids size, chemical and mineralogical composition, albedo and rotation, despite having a well-observed orbit with the lowest possible uncertainty (i.e. a condition code of 0) and an observation arc that spans over a period of more than 20 years.
On the basis of its absolute magnitude in the visible light spectrum and supposed albedo (which usually varies from 0.05 to 0.25 for the main-belt asteroids) its diameter could be anywhere between 3 and 6 kilometers. Since asteroids in the inner main-belt are typically of a silicaceous rather than of a carbonaceous composition, with albedos around 0.20, the body's diameter might be on the lower end of NASA's published conversion table, as the higher the reflectivity (albedo), the smaller the body's diameter for the given absolute magnitude of 15.0.
- "JPL Small-Body Database Browser: 30564 Olomouc (2001 OC77)" (20 December 2015 last obs.). Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- Schmadel, Lutz D. (2006). Dictionary of Minor Planet Names – (30564) Olomouc, Addendum to Fifth Edition: 2003–2005. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. p. 196. ISBN 978-3-540-34360-8. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- "Absolute Magnitude (H)". NASA/JPL. Retrieved 24 June 2014.
- "30564 Olomouc (2001 OC77)". Minor Planet Center. Retrieved 28 January 2016.
- Asteroid Orbital Elements Database
- Orbital simulation of 30564 Olomouc
- Ondřejov Astrometric Program - Numbered Asteroids
- Asteroid Olomouc in Planetky z našich luhů a hájů (in Czech language)
- Asteroid Lightcurve Database (LCDB), query form (info)
- Dictionary of Minor Planet Names, Google books
- Asteroids and comets rotation curves, CdR – Observatoire de Genève, Raoul Behrend
- Discovery Circumstances: Numbered Minor Planets (30001)-(35000) – Minor Planet Center
- 30564 Olomouc at the JPL Small-Body Database
|This article about an asteroid native to the asteroid belt is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|