30th Berlin International Film Festival
|Location||West Berlin, Germany|
|Awards||Golden Bear (Heartland, Palermo oder Wolfsburg)|
|Festival date||18–29 February 1980|
The 30th annual Berlin International Film Festival was held from 18–29 February 1980. The Golden Bear was awarded to the American film Heartland directed by Richard Pearce and West German film Palermo oder Wolfsburg directed by Werner Schroeter.
The retrospective was dedicated to American filmmaker Billy Wilder along with a 3D films retrospective. Moritz de Hadeln became the director of the festival and increased the efforts in expansion of Berlin film market. To ease tensions with the Soviet Union due to the Cold War era at the moment, the organizers decided to withdraw the films Ninotchka and One, Two, Three from the Billy Wilder retrospective.
The following people were announced as being on the jury for the festival:
- Ingrid Thulin, actress (Sweden) - Jury President
- Betsy Blair, actress (United Kingdom)
- Mathieu Carrière, actor (France)
- Alberto Isaac, director and screenwriter (Mexico)
- Peter Kern, actor (Austria)
- Károly Makk, director and screenwriter (Hungary)
- Alexander Mitta, director and screenwriter (Soviet Union)
- Alexandre Trauner, production designer (France)
- Angel Wagenstein, writer and director (Bulgaria)
Films in competition
The following films were in competition for the Golden Bear award:
Out of competition
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section
The following films were shown in the retrospective dedicated to Billy Wilder:
The following films were shown in the retrospective dedicated to 3-D films:
|English title||Original title||Director(s)||Country|
|Bwana Devil||Arch Oboler||USA|
|Creature from the Black Lagoon||Jack Arnold||USA|
|Dial M for Murder||Alfred Hitchcock||USA|
|Flesh for Frankenstein (aka Andy Warhol's Frankenstein)||Paul Morrissey||USA|
|Gorilla at Large||Harmon Jones||USA|
|House of Wax||Andre DeToth||USA|
|Inferno||Roy Ward Baker||USA|
|It Came from Outer Space||Jack Arnold||USA|
|Phantom of the Rue Morgue||Roy Del Ruth||USA|
|Dynasty||千刀萬里追 Qian dao wan li zhu||Mei-Chun Chang||Taiwan, Hong Kong|
|Revenge of the Shogun Women (aka 13 Nuns)||十三女尼 Shi shan nu ni||Mei-Chun Chang||Taiwan, Hong Kong|
|The Mad Magician||John Brahm||USA|
|The Mask||Julian Roffman||Canada|
The following prizes were awarded by the Jury:
- Golden Bear:
- Silver Bear – Special Jury Prize: Chiedo asilo by Marco Ferreri
- Silver Bear for Best Director: István Szabó for Bizalom
- Silver Bear for Best Actress: Renate Krößner for Solo Sunny
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Andrzej Seweryn for Dyrygent
- Berlin Bear Anniversary Prize: Marigolds in August by Ross Devenish
- Honourable Mention:
- FIPRESCI Award
- "30th Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 26 August 2010. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 1980". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE". Archived from the original on 4 March 2017. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Berlinale beginnings". Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "JURIES 1980". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 29 April 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2014.