33rd Tony Awards
|33rd Tony Awards|
|Date||June 3, 1979|
New York City, New York
|Hosted by||Jane Alexander
The presenters were Tom Bosley, Barry Bostwick, Ellen Burstyn, Georgia Engel, Jane Fonda, Celeste Holm, John Houseman, Barnard Hughes, Angela Lansbury, Ron Leibman, Jack Lemmon, Hal Linden, Jean Marsh, Al Pacino, and Dick Van Dyke.
The theme of the ceremony was theatrical superstitions, and various other showbusiness beliefs.
- Ballroom ("Fifty Percent" - Dorothy Loudon)
- The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas ("The Aggie Song" - Company)
- Eubie ("Hot Feet" - Gregory Hines)
- I Remember Mama ("A Little Bit More" - Liv Ullmann, George Hearn and Company)
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street ("The Worst Pies in London" - Angela Lansbury)
- They're Playing Our Song ("They're Playing Our Song" - Robert Klein and Lucie Arnaz)
Winners and nominees
Winners are in bold
- Lawrence Langner Memorial Award for Distinguished Lifetime Achievement in the American Theatre - Richard Rodgers
- Regional Theatre Award - American Conservatory Theater, San Francisco, California
- Henry Fonda
- Walter F. Diehl, International President of Theatrical Stage Employees and Moving Picture Operators, has been an active force in advancing the well-being of the Broadway theatre and of theatre nationally.
- Eugene O'Neill Memorial Theatre Center, Waterford, Connecticut
- Thomas, Robert Jr.The New York Times, "Tonys for Elephant, Sweeney Todd", June 4, 1979, p.C47