Teaser poster with original release date
|Directed by||Simon Kinberg|
|Story by||Theresa Rebeck|
|Music by||Tom Holkenborg|
|Edited by||John Gilbert|
|Distributed by||Universal Pictures|
The 355 is an upcoming American action spy film directed by Simon Kinberg from a screenplay written by Theresa Rebeck and Kinberg. The film stars Jessica Chastain, Lupita Nyong'o, Penélope Cruz, Diane Kruger, Fan Bingbing, Sebastian Stan and Édgar Ramírez.
It is scheduled to be released on January 14, 2022, by Universal Pictures.
- Jessica Chastain as Mason "Mace" Brown, a wild card CIA agent.
- Lupita Nyong'o as Khadijah, a former MI6 ally and cutting-edge computer specialist.
- Diane Kruger as Marie, a rival German agent.
- Penélope Cruz as Graciela, a skilled Colombian psychologist.
- Fan Bingbing as Lin Mi Sheng, a mysterious woman tracking the team's every move.
- Sebastian Stan as Nick, a CIA agent and Mace's colleague.
- Édgar Ramírez as Luis, a Colombian agent.
- Emilio Insolera
- Jason Wong
- John Douglas Thompson as Larry Marks
- Hiten Patel as Ahmed-Imam
- Leo Staar as Grady
- Oleg Kricunova as Pyotr Khasanov
Jessica Chastain proposed the idea for a female-led spy film in the same spirit as the Mission: Impossible and James Bond series to her Dark Phoenix director Simon Kinberg while in production on that film. The concept was built upon and in May 2018, it was announced that Kinberg would direct the film with Chastain producing, in addition to her starring alongside Marion Cotillard, Penélope Cruz, Fan Bingbing and Lupita Nyong'o. The project was pitched to buyers during the 2018 Cannes Film Festival, with Global Road Entertainment and Amazon Studios bidding for the distribution rights, and Universal Pictures ultimately winning the North American distribution rights with a $20 million plus bid.
In February 2019, Chastain put out a request for suggestions in regards to the casting of male actors. In May 2019, it was announced Sebastian Stan and Édgar Ramírez had joined the cast of the film, with Cotillard dropping out. Diane Kruger was added in June.
Filming began in July 2019, shooting between Paris, Morocco and London, using locations including Senate House. In September 2019, Emilio Insolera joined the cast of the film. Additional photography was filmed in London in July 2020 with precaution protocols due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Burlingame, Jon (December 11, 2020). "Tom Holkenborg Scoring Female-Driven Spy Thriller 'The 355' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Penske Media Corporation.
- McNary, Dave (August 20, 2019). "Jessica Chastain, Lupita Nyong'o Spy Thriller '355' Gets 2021 Release Date". Variety. Penske Media Corporation. Archived from the original on August 20, 2019.
- Hot Cannes Package ‘355’: Jessica Chastain, Marion Cotillard, Penelope Cruz, Fan Bingbing, Lupita Nyong’o Form Spy Sisterhood
- Cannes Mega Deal: Jessica Chastain Spy Movie ‘355’ Fetches $25 Million Offer as Bidding Heats Up
- Cannes: Universal Lands Jessica Chastain-Led Female-Fronted Spy Film 355
- Jessica Chastain Is In The Market For A ‘Bond Boy’
- Siegel, Tatiana (May 14, 2019). "Sebastian Stan and Edgar Ramirez Join '355'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 14, 2019.
- Diane Kruger Joins Simon Kinberg’s Spy Thriller ‘355’
- Fan Bingbing to Go Back Before the Camera in Jessica Chastain’s ‘355’
- Headlines from China: Filming of ‘355’ Starts with Fan Bingbing in the Cast
- Jessica Chastain Reveals Production Underway for Spy Thriller '355'
- University of London: Senate House on screen
- N'Duka, Amanda (September 24, 2019). "Elaine Hendrix To Star In 'The Country Club'; Universal's '355' Thriller Adds Emilio Insolera". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved September 25, 2019.
- "Jessica Chastain Used Men as Eye Candy in Her Female-Fronted Film, The 355".
- Rubin, Rebecca (November 23, 2020). "Jessica Chastain, Lupita Nyong'o Spy Thriller 'The 355' Moves Back a Year". Variety. Retrieved November 23, 2020.