35th Infantry Division (Wehrmacht)
|35th Infantry Division|
|Active||October 1936 – May 1945|
The 35th Infantry Division was raised in October 1936 in Germany's re-militarisation. It was used mostly used on the eastern front.
In May 1940, the division was part of the German forces sent to invade France and Belgium, remaining as an occupational formation in the two nations until June the next year, when it took part in Operation Barbarossa (the invasion of the Soviet Union). Between then and April 1945 the division would remain in the central and southern sectors before being forced back to East Prussia by the advancing Red Army.
- Generalleutnant Hubert Schaller-Kallide (12 Oct 1936 - 24 November 1938)
- General der Infanterie Hans Wolfgang Reinhard (24 November 1938 - 25 November 1940)
- General der Infanterie Walther Fischer von Weikersthal (25 November 1940 - 1 December 1941)
- General der Artillerie Rudolf Freiherr von Roman (1 December 1941 - 10 September 1942)
- Generalleutnant Ludwig Merker (10 September 1942 - April 1943)
- Generalleutnant Otto Drescher (Apr 1943 - 8 June 1943)
- Generalleutnant Ludwig Merker (8 June 1943 - 5 November 1943)
- Generalleutnant Johann-Georg Richert (5 November 1943 - 9 April 1944)
- Generalmajor Gustav Gihr (9 April 1944 - 11 May 1944)
- Generalleutnant Johann-Georg Richert (11 May 1944 - May 1945)
- Generalmajor der Reserve Dr. Ernst Meiners (May 1945)
Order of battle
- Tessin, Georg (1971). Die Landstreitkräfte 31—70. Verbände und Truppen der deutschen Wehrmacht und Waffen SS im Zweiten Weltkrieg 1939—1945. 5. Frankfurt/Main: E.S. Mittler. pp. 44–45.