36th Tony Awards
|36th Tony Awards|
|Date||June 6, 1982|
|Location||Imperial Theatre, New York City, New York|
|Hosted by||Tony Randall|
Presenters: Lucie Arnaz, Milton Berle, Victor Borge, Pam Dawber, Lillian Gish, Marvin Hamlisch, Lena Horne, Beth Howland, Robert Goulet, James Earl Jones, Swoosie Kurtz, Michele Lee, Hal Linden, Ann Miller, Robert Preston, Jason Robards, Ginger Rogers, Gary Sandy, Ben Vereen.
Some of Broadway's theatres were being demolished (the Morosco, Helen Hayes and Bijou Theatres) thus the theme was to celebrate a great Broadway theatre, the Imperial. "The Imperial Medley" featured songs from Rose Marie; Oh, Kay!; Jubilee; Leave It to Me; On Your Toes; Between the Devil; Annie Get Your Gun; Miss Liberty; Call Me Madam; The Most Happy Fella; Fiddler on the Roof; The New Moon; Silk Stockings; Wish You Were Here; The Laugh Parade; Carnival; They're Playing Our Song; Oliver!; and Pippin.
- Dreamgirls ("It's All Over/And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" - Jennifer Holliday and Company);
- Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat ("Any Dream Will Do" - Bill Hutton and Company);
- Nine ("Be Italian" - Kathi Moss and Company);
- Pump Boys and Dinettes (Medley - Company).
Winners and nominees
Winners are in bold
- Special Awards—The Actors' Fund of America
- Theatre Award '82
- Regional Theatre Award -- The Guthrie Theatre, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Multiple nominations and awards
These productions had multiple nominations:
The following productions received multiple awards.