This article does not cite any sources. (November 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|372 by topic|
|Ab urbe condita||1125|
|Balinese saka calendar||293–294|
|Chinese calendar||辛未年 (Metal Goat)|
3068 or 3008
— to —
壬申年 (Water Monkey)
3069 or 3009
|- Vikram Samvat||428–429|
|- Shaka Samvat||293–294|
|- Kali Yuga||3472–3473|
|Iranian calendar||250 BP – 249 BP|
|Islamic calendar||258 BH – 257 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1540 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||683/684 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||914–915|
498 or 117 or −655
— to —
499 or 118 or −654
Year 372 (CCCLXXII) was a leap year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Modestus and Arintheus (or, less frequently, year 1125 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 372 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Emperor Valentinian I is engaged in operations against the Alamanni, Quadi and Sarmatians, while his subordinates are dealing with Firmus, Roman usurper, in Africa and the Picts in Britain.
- The Huns attack the Tervingi on the Dniester, overwhelming them with light cavalry (horse archers) and devastating the settlements of the Goths. King Athanaric is defeated and seeks refuge in the Carpathian Mountains (Romania).
- Athanaric starts building new defensive works to protect his people against the Alans and the Huns.
- Sixteen Kingdoms: Jin Feidi is dethroned as emperor of the Eastern Jin Dynasty. He is replaced by his granduncle Sima Yu, who is installed as Jin Jianwendi.
- September 12 – Jin Xiaowudi, age 10, succeeds his father Jin Jianwendi. Empress Chu Suanzi serves as regent, but decisions are made by the high officials Xie An and Wang Tanzhi.
- The first diplomatic ties are established between the Korean kingdom of Baekje and the Chinese court of the Jin Dynasty.
Arts and sciences
- The national academy of Chinese learning, called Taehak, is established in the kingdom of Goguryeo (Korea).
- Gregory of Nyssa becomes bishop.
- Buddhism is adopted as the official religion of Gorguryeo.
- Saint Augustine adopts Manichaeism.
- Valentinian I bans Manichaean meetings.
- Jin Jianwendi, emperor of the Jin Dynasty (b. 320)
- Maximus of Ephesus, Greek Neoplatonist philosopher
- Sabbas the Goth, Christian reader and saint (b. 334)