37th (North Hampshire) Regiment of Foot
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
During the Jacobite rebellion of 1745–46 the regiment fought at the Battle of Falkirk (1746) where it was commanded by Sir Robert Munro, 6th Baronet and later at the Battle of Culloden where it was commanded by Col. Dejean.
Initially called Meredyth's Regiment, it was ranked the 37th Foot in 1747. Until the year 1751 it also used the names of its seven later Colonels (including Edward Montagu) and in 1751 became formally the 37th Regiment of Foot, with the North Hampshire distinction being added in 1782.
The Regiment was merged, in 1881, with the 67th (South Hampshire) Regiment of Foot to become the Hampshire Regiment (later the Royal Hampshire Regiment. The 37th Regiment of Foot became the 1st Battalion and the 67th Regiment of Foot became the 2nd Battalion.
Battle honours won by the regiment were: 
- Minden, Tournay, Peninsula
- Blenheim, Ramillies, Oudenarde, Malplaquet, Dettingen (all awarded to successor regiment, 1882)
Colonels of the Regiment were: 
- 1702–1710: Lt-Gen. Thomas Meredyth
- 1710–1715: Col. William Windress
- 1715–1717: Gen. John Fane, 7th Earl of Westmorland (Baron Catherlough)
- 1717–1722: Col. Edward Montagu, Viscount Hinchingbrooke
- 1722–1735: Brig-Gen. Hon. Robert Murray
- 1735–1745: Maj-Gen. Hon. Henry Ponsonby (killed at the Battle of Fontenoy)
- 1745–1746: Col. Sir Robert Munro, Bt. (killed at the Battle of Falkirk
- 1746–1752: Lt-Gen. Lewis Dejean
- 37th Regiment of Foot
- 1752–1768: Lt-Gen. Hon. James Stuart
- 1768–1773: Lt-Gen. Sir George Gray, Bt.
- 1773–1783: Lt-Gen. Sir Eyre Coote, KB
- 37th (the North Hampshire) Regiment of Foot
- 1783–1798: Gen. Sir John Dalling
- 1798–1810: Gen. Sir Hew Whitefoord Dalrymple
- 1810–1814: Lt-Gen. Sir Charles Ross, Bt
- 1814–1831: Gen. Sir Charles Green, Bt
- 1831–1851: Gen. Hon. Sir Alexander Duff, GCH
- 1851–1858: Lt-Gen. William Smelt, CB
- 1858–1862: Lt-Gen. John Fraser
- 1862–1879: Gen. Sir Thomas Simson Pratt, KCB
- 1879–1881: Gen. Sir Edmund Haythorne, KCB
- "37th(North Hampshire) Regiment of Foot". regiments.org. Archived from the original on 3 January 2008., regiments.org
- "Royal Hampshire Regiment history portal". stiofanbrown.com. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007.
- "37th (North Hampshire) Regiment of Foot". regiments.org. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
|This article about a specific British military unit is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|