37th Tony Awards
|37th Tony Awards|
|Date||June 5, 1983|
|Location||Gershwin Theatre, New York City, New York|
|Hosted by||Richard Burton, Lena Horne, and Jack Lemmon|
Presenters included George Abbott, Diahann Carroll, David Cassidy, James Coco, Cleavant Derricks, Colleen Dewhurst, Sergio Franchi, Bonnie Franklin, Peter Michael Goetz, Mark Hamill, Cheryl Hartley, Florence Lacey, Frank Langella, Court Miller, Liliane Montevecchi, Jerry Orbach, Jay Patterson, John Rubinstein, and Pamela Sousa.
The Special Salute was a medley of George Gershwin songs. At the end of the ceremony the Uris Theatre was renamed the Gershwin Theatre. Songs included: "The Real American Folk Song" sung by Diahann Carroll, "Stairway to Paradise" sung by Ben Vereen, "Somebody Loves Me" sung by Jack Lemmon and Ginger Rogers, "Lady Be Good" sung by Hal Linden and Ginger Rogers, "Someone to Watch Over Me" sung by Melissa Manchester, "How Long Has This Been Going On?" sung by Bonnie Franklin, "Vodka" sung by Dorothy Loudon, "I've Got Rhythm" sung by Michele Lee and "There's a Boat dat's Leavin' Soon For New York" sung by Robert Guillaume.
- Cats, "Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats" - Company/"Memory" - Betty Buckley
- Merlin, "It's About Magic" - Doug Henning, Company
- My One and Only, "Kicking the Clouds Away" - Tommy Tune, Company
Winners and nominees
Winners are in bold
- "1983 - 37th Annual Tony Awards"[permanent dead link] tonyawards.com, accessed April 30, 2011
- Lawson, Carol." 'Cats' And 'Torch Song Trilogy' Win Top Tonys" New York Times (abstract), June 6, 1983, p. C11
- "1983 Tony Award Winners" broadwayworld.com, accessed April 30, 2011 Archived July 28, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.