382d Bombardment Group
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (December 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|382d Bombardment Group|
|Branch||United States Army Air Forces|
|Part of||Twentieth Air Force|
|Garrison/HQ||Pacific Ocean Theater of World War II|
The 382d Bombardment Group is an inactive United States Air Force unit. It was last assigned to the Army Service Forces, being stationed at Camp Azna, California. It was inactivated on 4 January 1946.
The unit was initially a World War II B-24 Liberator operational training unit (OTU). Redesignated as a replacement training unit (RTU) in December 1943. Inactivated on 31 March 1944 when Second Air Force switched to B-29 Superfortress training. Late in the war the group was reactivated and trained as a Very Heavy (VH) B-29 Superfortress group and assigned to Eighth Air Force in Okinawa. However, the war ended before the group could enter combat.
- Constituted as 382d Bombardment Group (Heavy) on 28 October 1942
- Activated on 3 November 1942.
- Inactivated on 31 March 1944.
- Redesignated 382d Bombardment Group (Very Heavy) and activated on 25 August 1944.
- Inactivated on 4 January 1946
- II Bomber Command, 3 November 1942
- Second Air Force, 6 October 1943 – 31 March 1944; 25 August 1944 – 8 July 1945
- 316 Bombardment Wing, Very Heavy, 8 September-16 December 1945
- Army Service Forces, 30 December 1945 – 4 January 1946
- 420th Bombardment Squadron 1944–1946
- 464th Bombardment Squadron 1944–1946
- 872d Bombardment Squadron 1944–1946
- 536th Bombardment Squadron 1942–1944
- 537th Bombardment Squadron 1942–1944
- 538th Bombardment Squadron 1942–1944
- 539th Bombardment Squadron 1942–1944
- Salt Lake City AAB, Utah, 3 November 1942
- Davis-Monthan Field, Arizona, 23 January 1943
- Pocatello AAFld, Idaho, 5 April 1943
- Muroc AAFld, California, 6 December 1943 – 31 March 1944
- Dalhart AAFld, Texas, 25 August 1944
- Smoky Hill AAFld, Kansas, 11 December 1944 – 8 July 1945
- North Field, Guam* 8 September-16 December 1945
- Camp Anza, California, 30 December 1945 – 4 January 1946
* Note: Only 420th Bombardment Squadron of group arrived with B-29 Aircraft, 464th and 872d Bomb Squadrons only ground echelons arrived. Air Echelon of squadrons with assigned aircraft remained in United States at Smoky Hill AAF until inactivation.
- Maurer 1983, pp. 269–270.