|396 by topic|
|Ab urbe condita||1149|
|Balinese saka calendar||317–318|
|Chinese calendar||乙未年 (Wood Goat)|
3092 or 3032
— to —
丙申年 (Fire Monkey)
3093 or 3033
|- Vikram Samvat||452–453|
|- Shaka Samvat||317–318|
|- Kali Yuga||3496–3497|
|Iranian calendar||226 BP – 225 BP|
|Islamic calendar||233 BH – 232 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1516 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||707/708 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||938–939|
522 or 141 or −631
— to —
523 or 142 or −630
Year 396 (CCCXCVI) was a leap year starting on Tuesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Augustus and Augustus (or, less frequently, year 1149 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 396 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Stilicho, Roman general (magister militum), controls the young emperor Honorius as his regent, and becomes the actual ruler of the Western Roman Empire. He enlists the Alemanni and the Franks, to defend the Rhine frontier.
- The Visigoths, led by Alaric I, rampage through Greece and plunder Corinth, Argos and Sparta. They destroy the Temple of Eleusis, and harry the Peloponnese. Stilicho makes peace with the Goths, and allows them to settle in Epirus (Balkans).
- Emperor Jìn Ān Dì, age 14, succeeds his father Emperor Xiaowu, as ruler of the Eastern Jin dynasty, after he is murdered by his concubine Honoured Lady Zhang.
- Lü Guang claims the title "Heavenly Prince" (Tian Wang), signifying his claim to the Later Liang Kingdom.
- Duan Yuanfei, empress and wife of emperor Murong Chui
- Dowager Helan, mother of emperor Wei Daowudi (b. 351)
- Jin Xiaowudi, emperor of the Eastern Jin Dynasty (b. 362)
- Murong Chui, general and founder of Later Yan (b. 326)