399 Fremont Street
|399 Fremont Street|
Under construction in August 2015
|Former names||The Californian on Rincon Hill|
Echelon on Rincon Hill
|Alternative names||375 Fremont Street|
|Status||Completed April 2016|
|Location||355-399 Fremont Street|
San Francisco, California
|Construction started||January 2014|
|Estimated completion||April 2016|
|Owner||UDR, Inc. (51%)|
MetLife, Inc. (49%)
|Roof||122 m (400 ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Solomon Cordwell Buenz|
|Structural engineer||Magnusson Klemencic Associates|
|Number of units||447|
399 Fremont Street is a 122 m (400 ft) residential skyscraper in the Rincon Hill neighborhood of San Francisco, California. The tower has 447 residential units on 42 floors, and 25,000 square feet of amenity space.
As part of the Rincon Hill Plan adopted in August 2005, the parcels at 375 Fremont and 399 Fremont were zoned for either two 250-foot (76 m) residential towers, or one 400-foot (120 m) tower. On June 15, 2006, the San Francisco Planning Commission approved the demolition of the existing buildings and the construction of a 400-foot (120 m) residential tower by developer Fifield Realty Corp.
Initially designed by Richard Keating Architecture, the development was approved for 432 residential units with 432 parking spaces in four underground levels. The project was marketed as The Californian on Rincon Hill by Fifield. By 2007, however, Fifield was reportedly looking to sell the development. Demolition of the existing buildings took place in February 2008. In 2009, Fifield changed the name of the project to Echelon on Rincon Hill.
After two years without starting construction, the Planning Commission granted a 12-month extension of its approvals until June 15, 2009. The extension also increased the number of allowed units to 452, while decreasing the number of parking spaces to 238. Additional 12-month extensions were granted in 2009, 2010, and 2011. In 2012, developers OliverMcMillan and UDR acquired the project from Fifield. After being redesigned by Solomon Cordwell Buenz, another 12-month extension was granted, expiring June 15, 2013. In January 2013, UDR acquired OliverMcMillan's remaining 7.5% stake in the project. The total cost of the land parcel was US$52.2 million. In December 2013, UDR announced a joint-venture agreement with MetLife to develop the US$317 million project, with UDR retaining a 51 percent ownership interest and MetLife owning 49 percent.
According to planning documents, the building will rise 400 ft (120 m) to the roof line, exclusive of mechanical screening structures, which makes the tower's total height somewhat taller. Building permits were issued in June 2013. Construction began in January 2014. General Contractor Swinerton, completed the building in April 2016. 399 Fremont is a luxury apartment home community owned and managed by UDR, featuring upscale apartments and on-site amenities including fitness center, lap pool, and resident media lounge.
- 399 Fremont Street at Emporis
- "399 Fremont Street". SkyscraperPage.
- "Executive Summary Determination of Compliance" (PDF). San Francisco Planning Commission. July 18, 2012. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "UDR and MetLife to Develop Luxury High-Rise in San Francisco" (Press release). The Registry. December 6, 2013. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- "The Californian on Rincon Hill: 375 Fremont St". SocketSite. March 27, 2006. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- Dineen, J.K.; Ryan Tate (October 7, 2007). "Fifield puts Rincon Hill condo parcel on the block". San Francisco Business Times. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "Today's "Highly Perceptive": The Californian on Rincon Hill, now Echelon on Rincon Hill??". March 6, 2009. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- OliverMcMillan Profile
- Dineen, J.K. (September 21, 2012). "Highrise king set to design more in San Francisco". San Francisco Business Times. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "UDR Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2012 Results". The Wall Street Journal. February 5, 2013. Retrieved April 16, 2013.
- "Another 400-Foot Rincon Hill Tower Is Ready To Break Ground". SocketSite. June 27, 2013. Retrieved August 18, 2013.
- "UDR Announces Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results" (Press release). February 4, 2014. p. 4. Retrieved February 19, 2014.
- Noble, Elaine (December 16, 2013). "New Client, New High-Rise, New Technology". Swinerton. Retrieved January 20, 2014.
- "399 Fremont Apartments in San Francisco". UDR Apartments.