39th Berlin International Film Festival
|Awards||Golden Bear (Rain Man)|
|No. of films||375 films|
|Festival date||10 – 21 February 1989|
The 39th annual Berlin International Film Festival was held from February 10 to 21, 1989. The Golden Bear was awarded to American film Rain Man directed by Barry Levinson. The retrospective dedicated to film producer Erich Pommer was shown at the festival.
The following people were announced as being on the jury for the festival:
- Rolf Liebermann (Head of the Jury)
- Leslie Caron
- Chen Kaige
- Vadim Glowna
- Randa Haines
- Vladimir Ignatovski
- Adrian Kutter
- Francisco Rabal
- Cliff Robertson
- Zdeněk Svěrák
- Boris Vasilyev
Films in competition
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section
The following prizes were awarded by the Jury:
- Golden Bear: Rain Man by Barry Levinson
- Silver Bear - Special Jury Prize: Wan zhong by Wu Ziniu
- Silver Bear for Best Director: Dušan Hanák for Ja milujem, ty miluješ
- Silver Bear for Best Actress: Isabelle Adjani for Camille Claude
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Gene Hackman for Mississippi Burning
- Silver Bear for an outstanding single achievement: Eric Bogosian for Talk Radio
- Silver Bear for an outstanding artistic contribution: Kaipo Cohen and Gila Almagor for Ha-Kayitz Shel Aviya
- Honourable Mention: La bande des quatre by Jacques Rivette
- Alfred-Bauer Prize: Sluga
- FIPRESCI Award
- "PROGRAMME 1989". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "39th Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2011-03-06.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 1989". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE". Retrieved 28 July 2014.
- "JURIES 1989". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.