|Compatible networks||UMTS 2100, GSM 900, GSM 1800, GSM 1900|
|Availability by country||Q4 2007|
|Memory||16MB internal Expandable to 1GB (2GB unofficially supported) microSD|
|Display||2.2″ 176×220 pixel display|
|Rear camera||2 Megapixels|
|Connectivity||Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR, USB (with Mass Storage Mode support)|
The 3 Skypephone (also known as the 3 Skypephone S1) is a UMTS, GSM and VoIP mobile phone. The phone is a joint product by Hutchison 3G and Skype. The 3 Skypephone S1 was the first in the 3 Skypephone Series to launch . It was widely acknowledged for its difference from other mobile phones for introducing Skype as a native application and introducing Brew os to a European audience.
My3's website previously identified the phone model as the "Amoi 8512", while the packaging the phone comes in, calls it the "WP-S1". However, the phone is currently being marketed under the name 3 Skypephone S1 and is currently (as of November 2008) available in 3's own stores (including 3Stores within Superdrug premises) and in retail, depending on country.
Windows Live Messenger was initially supported on the phone in selected countries only. However, in late November 2007 it was released as a Java application in the UK, and is available via the Launcher softkey on the phone. Usage of Messenger is free on 3's UK and Ireland networks.
The physical dimensions of the phone include a weight of 86 g and size of 100×44×13.6 mm.
The battery life is as follows:
- Standby: 320 hours
- Talk Time: 270 minutes
- Video Talk Time: 170 minutes
A screen size of 2 inches (51 mm), at a resolution of 176×220 pixels is included, and it incorporates a 2 megapixel camera.
In the box
- Lithium-ion battery 3.7V, 1150 mAh.
- Battery cover (magnetic).
- Personal stereo hands free kit (via mini-USB connector).
- USB cable.
- Mains charger (USB connector).
- CD–ROM for PC connection.
- 256MB or 512MB microSD memory card (no adapter) (UK, Ireland and Austria).
- 512MB Kingston microSD memory card with adapter (Australia)
- 3 user guide.
- Quick start guide for Skype.
- Bluetooth stack with OBEX file transfer and A2DP support
- Streaming video (can receive TV channels and watch movies over the 3G network)
- Streaming audio
- Free Skype-to-skype calls
- T9 dictionary
- Video recording
- Audio recording
- Media player that plays AAC, AMR, M4A, MP3, WAV, 3GP, MP4, WMV and WMA files 
- PC Suite synchronization
- 116.5 kbit/s cell modem via Bluetooth or USB
- Podcasting with Mobilcast (unofficially supported)
- Supports Java ME applications such as Opera Mini and many Java ME games.
- Charging via standard mini USB cable. (Through its own charging unit (wall plug) and USB to mini USB cable are included, any standards mini USB cable can be used to charge the skypephone in various locations or when traveling.) However, see issues below.
- Brew games
- 3 launcher menu
- Pre-loaded Skype client Powered by Brew
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Poor battery life when streaming video (e.g. Mobile YouTube or Mobile TV).
- The Skypephone does not support Skype Video Call.
- The Skypephone does not support SkypeIn yet (except Hong Kong).
- However, some people are working around this by purchasing Skype Pro and forwarding incoming calls when busy to the actual mobile phone number.
- SkypeIn is available Feb 2008 in Hong Kong only.
- SkypeIn not officially available other than Hong Kong, but workaround software is available to use on your PC to connect SkypeIn calls to your 3Skypephone.
- There was formerly no SkypeOut functionality, however this has been addressed in the UK with a software update available on the application shop and under a folder called "Skype". Only calls to phones abroad are allowed, but a workaround to allow Skypeout calls to phones in the UK is possible.
- Skype conferencing is supported, however the handset cannot host conference calls, only join existing ones.
- No front-facing camera for video calls
- The rubber coating on the battery cover of the Black model is known to blister and peel when warm.
- The Skypephone only takes 20 Calendar entries.e.
- However you can get around this by connecting the handsfree headset.
- Screen is made of plastic
- Back cover on white model gets stained easily.
- Japanese text is not supported; chat messages containing this appear blank.
- Many applications are not tested for the 3 Skypephone S1 (However, as a general rule it is compatible with the same Java games and applications as the Sony Ericsson W810I).
- Mini USB connector is slightly non standard as the plastic lip that holds the electrical connectors on the cable needs to be slightly thicker to allow contact with the connectors on the phone. You may need to try a couple of different cables to find one that connects properly, or even slightly dent the cable connector metal housing to force the pins to be raised slightly.
- "3 Skypephone hands on review part 1: WP-S1 Out of the box".
- "Technical Specification at three.co.uk website". Retrieved 2010-01-04.
- "3 Skypephone Forum FAQ".
- "SkypeIn and SkypeOut workaround". Retrieved 2008-08-06.
- "Simple Skypeout National Calls Workaround for the 3 Skypephone". Retrieved 2008-12-03.
- "3 Skypephone - MobileSift". Archived from the original on 24 August 2008. Retrieved 2008-08-27.
- ("3 Skypephone Forum - Skypephone rubber skin peels off!". Retrieved 2007-12-17.)