|Launched||February 13, 2011|
|Closed||August 12, 2014|
|Owned by||Discovery Communications|
|Picture format||1080i (3DTV)|
|Slogan||A 3D channel by Discovery, Sony and IMAX|
Sony Movie Channel
Cine Sony Television
3net was an American 3D television channel that launched on February 13, 2011. It was a joint venture of Discovery Communications, Sony and IMAX Corporation. The partnership was announced in June 2010, and the channel was previewed publicly at the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show.
DirecTV carried the channel exclusively since launch. Nintendo's 3DS handheld system frequently provides episodic clips of content from 3net's programs on their Nintendo Video service. On August 12, 2014, 3net ceased broadcasting to all providers and was dropped from the DirecTV channel lineup. According to Realscreen magazine, 3net has now closed down as a channel.
The channel had several original shows as well as theatrical films.
- Building the Brand
- Son of a Pitch
- Experience 3D
- In The Qube 3D
- Wildebeest Migration
- African Wild
- Attack of the Giant Jellyfish
- China Revealed
- Ghost Lab
- Dream Defenders
- High Octane
- Jewels of the World
- Making the Brand
- 2011 3D Creative Arts Awards: Your World in 3D
- 3D Safari: Africa
- Space: Unraveling the Cosmos
- Scary Tales
Repeats of the 3net series African Wild and Building the Brand are currently airing on the digital broadcast network Quest.
- Sony, Discovery and IMAX to Launch 3net, the 24/7 3D Television Network, in the U.S. February 13, 2011 on DIRECTV DirecTV Press Release February 10, 2011
- "Cosgrove To Head Discovery 3D Network - Programming Veteran To Report To JV Board, Comprising Sony, IMAX, Discovery Officials". Multichannel News. June 8, 2010. Retrieved September 25, 2014.
- "CES: Discovery, Sony, IMAX Officially Debut '3net'". Multichannel News. January 5, 2011. Retrieved September 25, 2014.
- "Dreamworks Animation, 3NET, Blue Man Group Provide 3D Videos for Nintendo 3DS". Nintendo. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- Ritchie, Kevin (2014-09-25). "Discovery, Sony, Imax quietly shutter 3D channel 3net". Realscreen. Brunico Communications. Retrieved 29 September 2014.
- "Introducing 3net -- The 3D Joint Venture of Sony, Discovery Communications and IMAX Officially Announces Network Brand". Discovery Communications. January 5, 2011. Retrieved September 25, 2014.
- Arrant, Chris (April 28, 2011). "3net Picks Up Tiny Island's 3D series "Dream Defenders" For U.S. Broadcasting". CartoonBrew.com. Retrieved November 27, 2012.
|This article about a television station in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|