3rd New Guinea Infantry Battalion
|3rd New Guinea Infantry Battalion|
|Colours||Red and Green|
|Battle honours||South West Pacific 1942–45, Kokoda Trail, Kokoda-Deniki, Nassau Bay, Tambu Bay, Finschhafen, Scarlet Beach, Liberation of Australian New Guinea, Sio-Sepik River, Kaboibus-Kiarivu and Bonis-Porton|
|Unit Colour Patch|
The 3rd New Guinea Infantry Battalion (3 NGIB) was a battalion of the Australian Army during World War II. One of four infantry battalions raised in New Guinea, 3 NGIB was formed in June 1945. It later became part of the Pacific Islands Regiment before being disbanded in November 1947.
The battalion was formed in June 1945 in the territory of New Guinea, during World War II, to fight against the Japanese. Its soldiers were primarily natives of New Guinea, under the command of Australian officers and NCOs. Formed late in the war the battalion took no part in the allied campaigns in New Guinea, although a few of its members saw service with 2 NGIB during the Aitape-Wewak campaign, suffering a number of casualties. The New Guinea battalions each had an establishment of about 77 Europeans and 550 native soldiers.
The Papuan Infantry Battalion (PIB) along with the 1st and 2nd New Guinea Infantry Battalion were amalgamated to form the Pacific Islands Regiment in November 1944. The 3rd and 4th New Guinea Infantry Battalion joined the regiment in 1945, although 4 NGIB was soon disbanded, whilst the 5th New Guinea Infantry Battalion—although authorised—was never raised. The battalion was disbanded in November 1947.
- World War II: South West Pacific 1942–45, Kokoda Trail, Kokoda-Deniki, Nassau Bay, Tambu Bay, Finschhafen, Scarlet Beach, Liberation of Australian New Guinea, Sio-Sepik River, Kaboibus-Kiarivu and Bonis-Porton.
- Lieutenant Colonel T.F. MacAdie (1945–1946)
- Lieutenant Colonel A.C. Cameron (1946)
- 1 killed, 6 died.
- Sinclair 1990, p. 296.
- Byrnes 1989, p. 184.
- Dennis et al 1995, p. 449.
- Sinclair 1990, p. 273.
- The battle honours listed above are those awarded to the PIR in 1966 as listed in Byrnes 1989, p. 269.
- Byrnes 1989, p. 269.
- Byrnes, G.M. (1989). Green Shadows: A War History of the Papuan Infantry Battalion, 1 New Guinea Infantry Battalion, 2 New Guinea Infantry Battalion, 3 New Guinea Infantry Battalion. Newmarket: G.M. Byrnes. ISBN 0-7316-6716-6.
- Dennis, Peter; Grey, Jeffrey; Morris, Ewan; Prior, Robin (1995). The Oxford Companion to Australian Military History (First ed.). Melbourne: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-553227-9.
- Sinclair, James (1990). To Find a Path: The Life and Times of the Royal Pacific Islands Regiment: Volume I — Yesterday's Heroes 1885–1950. Brisbane: Boolarong Publications. ISBN 0-7316-9120-2.