3tera is among the pioneers in the cloud computing space, having launched its AppLogic system in February, 2006. Cloud computing is the set of technologies and business practices that enable companies of all sizes to build, deploy, monitor and scale applications using resources accessed over the internet. Web 2.0, SaaS, Enterprise and government users are adopting cloud computing because it eliminates capital investment in hardware and facilities as well as reduces operations labor.
Cloud computing software
3tera's flagship product, AppLogic, is used by numerous service providers as the foundation for their cloud computing offerings. AppLogic is a turnkey system that converts arrays of servers into virtualized resource pools that users can subscribe to in order to power their applications. Users can define not only virtual machines but also complex application infrastructure like firewalls, VPNs, load balancers and storage, all with nothing more than a browser. Service providers offer a variety of services based on AppLogic, including:
- Virtual Private Server (VPS) with automatic high availability and flexible resource assignment
- Virtual Private Datacenter (VPD or VPDC) for building complex on-line application infrastructure with only a browser
- Cloud data storage as well
- Software-as-a-Service applications (including project management, issue tracking, and customer relationship management (CRM))
What generally distinguishes 3tera's model is that AppLogic is made available both as a service or as a software license. This allows customers to obtain service from a number of providers, move easily between providers, as well as operate in-house cloud computing services.
3Tera's principal founder was the late Vladimir Miloushev. Prior to its acquisition, the management and founders included Barry X Lynn, Chairman and Chief Executive; Peter Nickolov, President and Chief Technology Officer; Bert Armijo, Senior Vice President of Product Development; Eric Tessler, Vice President of Engineering, Essy Nickolova, Vice President of Marketing Communications, Robbie Vann-Adibè, Vice President of Sales; Krasimira Nikolova, Chief Financial Officer. .
- "Tiny Firms Offer Big Computing Services - Forbes.com". www.forbes.com. Archived from the original on 18 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-10.
- "Linux Magazine’s Top 20 Companies to Watch in 2008". Linux Magazine. Archived from the original on 8 July 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-10.
- "Category Breaker: Gibbs on 3tera's AppLogic". www.networkworld.com. Retrieved 2008-07-10.
- "Traffic's Up; Website's Down - Online Server Capacity - Web Hosting Options". www.inc.com. Retrieved 2008-07-10.
- "Pay-as-You-Go with Cloud Computing – Amazon EC2 – EMC Cloud – IBM Blue Cloud". technology.inc.com. Archived from the original on 4 August 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-10.
- "Page 2 - AppLogic 2.1 Streamlines Grid Computing". www.eweek.com. Retrieved 2008-07-10.