40th Berlin International Film Festival
|Opening film||Steel Magnolias|
|Awards||Golden Bear (Music Box and Skřivánci na niti)|
|No. of films||467 films|
|Festival date||9 – 20 February 1990|
The 40th annual Berlin International Film Festival was held from 9 to 20 February 1990. The festival opened with Steel Magnolias by Herbert Ross, which was shown out of competition. The Golden Bear was awarded to the American film Music Box directed by Costa-Gavras and Czech film Skřivánci na niti directed by Jiří Menzel.
The retrospective dedicated to 40 years completion of Berlin festival and films from the year 1945 were shown at the festival. Martin Scorsese withdrew his film Kundun, based on the life and writings of the 14th Dalai Lama, the exiled political and spiritual leader of Tibet, after the objection of China, additionally due to some miscommunication festival also missed the chance to screen Roberto Benigni's Academy Award-winning 1997 film Life Is Beautiful.
The following people were announced as being on the jury for the festival:
- Michael Ballhaus (Head of the Jury)
- Margaret Ménégoz (Co-head of the Jury)
- Vadim Abdrashitov
- Suzana Amaral
- Steven Bach
- Roberto Benigni
- Lívia Gyarmathy
- Helke Misselwitz
- Otto Sander
- Stephen Silverman
- Rita Tushingham
Films in competition
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section The opening and closing films are screened during the opening and closing ceremonies respectively.
The following prizes were awarded by the Jury:
- Golden Bear:
- Silver Bear - Special Jury Prize: Astenicheskiy sindrom by Kira Muratova
- Silver Bear for Best Director: Michael Verhoeven for Das schreckliche Mädchen
- Silver Bear for Best Joint Performance: Jessica Tandy and Morgan Freeman
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Iain Glen for Silent Scream
- Silver Bear for an outstanding single achievement: Black Snow by Xie Fei
- Silver Bear for an outstanding artistic contribution: Coming Out
- Alfred-Bauer Prize: Karaul
- FIPRESCI Award
- "PROGRAMME 1990". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "40th Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "Berlin International Film Festival Plays Both Sides Of Wall With". chicagotribune. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 1990". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE". Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Berlinale beginnings". Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "JURIES 1990". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.