42nd Illinois Volunteer Infantry Regiment
|42nd Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry "First Douglas Regt"|
Illinois state flag
|Active||July 22, 1861 to December 16, 1865|
|Engagements||Battle of Chickamauga
Battle of Resaca
Siege of Atlanta
Battle of Franklin
Battle of Nashville
The 42nd Illinois Infantry was organized at Chicago, Illinois and mustered into Federal service on July 22, 1861.
The regiment was mustered out on December 16, 1865.
Total strength and casualties
The regiment suffered 13 officers and 168 enlisted men who were killed in action or mortally wounded and 5 officers and 201 enlisted men who died of disease, for a total of 387 fatalities.
- Colonel William A. Webb - died on December 24, 1861.
- Colonel George W. Roberts - killed in action on December 31, 1862.
- Colonel Nathan H. Walworth - resigned on April 13, 1864.
- Lieutenant Colonel Edgar D. Swain - mustered out with the regiment.
- http://www.civilwararchive.com/Unreghst/unilinf4.htm#42nd The Civil War Archive website after Dyer, Frederick Henry. A Compendium of the War of the Rebellion. 3 vols. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1959.
- http://www.rootsweb.com/~ilcivilw/f&s/042-fs.htm Illinois in the Civil War website after Illinois Adjutant General's muster rolls
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|This article about a specific military unit of the American Civil War is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|