43rd Tony Awards
|43rd Tony Awards|
|Date||June 4, 1989|
|Location||Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, New York City, New York|
|Hosted by||Angela Lansbury|
The 43rd Annual Tony Awards, which honor achievement in the Broadway theatre was held on June 4, 1989 at the Lunt-Fontanne Theatre and broadcast by CBS television. The hostess was Angela Lansbury. Angela Lansbury has hosted or co-hosted more Tony telecasts than any other individual, with five telecasts: 1968, 1971, 1987, 1988, and 1989.
There were no nominations for Best Book of a Musical as well as Best Score of a Musical.
Presenters and Performers: Barry Bostwick, Betty Buckley, Zoe Caldwell, Nell Carter, Carol Channing, Colleen Dewhurst, Jerry Herman, James Earl Jones, Larry Kert, Swoosie Kurtz, John Lithgow, Steve Martin, Richard Thomas, Tommy Tune, Leslie Uggams, Gwen Verdon, August Wilson, B.D. Wong.
Musicals and Plays represented:
- Black and Blue ("Tain't Nobody's Bizness If I Do"/"That Rhythm Man" - Company)
- Jerome Robbins' Broadway ("Dance at the Gym" from West Side Story - Company)
- Starmites ("Starmites"/"Hard to Be the Diva" - Company)
- The Heidi Chronicles (Scene with Joan Allen and Peter Friedman)
- Largely New York (with Bill Irwin and ensemble)
- Lend Me a Tenor (Scene with Philip Bosco and Victor Garber)
- Shirley Valentine (Scene with Pauline Collins)
- "The Eleven O'clock Number"/"Everything's Coming up Roses" from "Gypsy" (with Angela Lansbury)
- "Send in the Clowns" from A Little Night Music
- "Memory" from Cats (with Betty Buckley)
- "Being Alive" from Company (with Larry Kert)
Winners and nominees
Winners are in bold
Regional Theatre Tony Award
- Hartford Stage Company, Hartford, Connecticut