This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|446 by topic|
|Ab urbe condita||1199|
|Balinese saka calendar||367–368|
|Chinese calendar||乙酉年 (Wood Rooster)|
3142 or 3082
— to —
丙戌年 (Fire Dog)
3143 or 3083
|- Vikram Samvat||502–503|
|- Shaka Samvat||367–368|
|- Kali Yuga||3546–3547|
|Iranian calendar||176 BP – 175 BP|
|Islamic calendar||181 BH – 180 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1466 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||757/758 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||988–989|
572 or 191 or −581
— to —
573 or 192 or −580
Year 446 (CDXLVI) was a common year starting on Tuesday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Aetius and Symmachus (or, less frequently, year 1199 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 446 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Bishop Germanus of Auxerre visits Ravenna, seeking to soften imperial hostility towards the Bagaudae. On his arrival at the capital, empress-mother Galla Placidia sends him a silver dish with a choice selection of prepared dainties—all vegetarian, out of respect for the bishop's strict diet. Germanus petitions the Senate for leniency for the citizens of Armorica (Brittany).
- The Britons and Anglo-Saxon mercenaries, under King Vortigern, appeal to Flavius Aetius (magister militum of Gaul) for military assistance in their struggle against the Picts and Irish. Aetius has enough problems with Attila the Hun and is unable to send any help (according to Groans of the Britons).
- The Cor Tewdws (College of Theodosius), Llantwit Major (Wales), is supposedly burned down by Irish pirates.
- The Northern Wei Dynasty begins persecuting Buddhists, having heretofore encouraged them. The drain of manpower and tax money to temples and monasteries has threatened the secular government, and the reaction is fierce: monks and nuns are murdered, temples and icons destroyed. All men under age 50 are prohibited from joining any monastic order in a program that will continue until 450, helping the Confucianist philosophy of the Han Dynasty to gain dominance over Buddhism.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2017)
- February 19 – Leontius of Trier, Bishop of Trier
- Mac Cairthinn mac Coelboth, king of Leinster (Ireland)
- Proclus, patriarch of Constantinople (approximate date)