44th Berlin International Film Festival
|Awards||Golden Bear (In the Name of the Father)|
|No. of films||300 films|
|Festival date||10 – 21 February 1994|
The 44th annual Berlin International Film Festival was held from 10 to 21 February 1994. The Golden Bear was awarded to British-Irish film In the Name of the Father directed by Jim Sheridan. The retrospective dedicated to Austrian director, actor and producer Erich von Stroheim was shown at the festival.
The following people were announced as being on the jury for the festival:
- Jeremy Thomas (Head of the Jury)
- Chinghiz Aitmatov
- María Luisa Bemberg
- Hsu Feng
- Morgan Freeman
- Francis Girod
- Corinna Harfouch
- Carlo Lizzani
- Wolfram Schütte
- Susan Seidelman
- Hayao Shibata
Films in competition
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section
The following prizes were awarded by the Jury:
- Golden Bear: In the Name of the Father by Jim Sheridan
- Silver Bear - Special Jury Prize: Fresa y chocolate by Tomás Gutiérrez Alea, Juan Carlos Tabío
- Silver Bear for Best Director: Krzysztof Kieślowski for Three Colors: White
- Silver Bear for Best Actress: Crissy Rock for Ladybird, Ladybird
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Tom Hanks for Philadelphia
- Silver Bear for an outstanding single achievement: Smoking/No Smoking by Alain Resnais
- Silver Bear for an outstanding artistic contribution: God sobaki by Semyon Aranovich
- Alfred Bauer Prize: Hwa-Om-Kyung by Jang Sun-woo
- Honourable Mention:
- Blue Angel Award: Il giudice ragazzino by Alessandro Di Robilant
- Honorary Golden Bear: Sophia Loren
- "PROGRAMME 1994". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 4 January 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "44th Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Retrieved 8 June 2011.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 1994". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 1 May 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE". Archived from the original on 4 March 2017. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "JURIES 1994". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 15 October 2013. Retrieved 9 June 2014.