This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Privately held company|
|Services||data center consulting|
451 Group is a New York City-based technology industry research firm. Through its Uptime Institute operating unit, the company provides research for data center operators. In December 2019, 451 Group sold an operating division, 451 Research, to information and analytics company S&P Global.
- consumer spending research firm ChangeWave Research in 2011
- events company Tech Touchstone in 2013
- mobile communications research firm Yankee Group in 2013
- IT professional community Wisegate in 2017.
Uptime Institute is the operating division of the 451 Group. It is an American professional services organization best known for its "Tier Standard". and the associated certification of data center compliance with the standard.
Founded in 1987 by Kenneth G. Brill, the Uptime Institute was founded as an industry proponent to help owners and operators quantify and qualify their ability to provide a predictable level of performance from data centers, regardless of the status of external factors, such as power utilities.
451 Research was formerly part of 451 Group. Until being acquired by S&P Global in December 2019, it was an information technology industry analyst firm, headquartered in New York with offices in London, Boston, Washington DC, and San Francisco.
The company claimed over 250 employees, over 100 industry analysts and over 1000 clients. The company produced qualitative and quantitative research, across thirteen research channels, and targets service providers, technology vendors, enterprise IT leaders and financial professionals.
451 Alliance was a subdivision of 451 Research. Its members included executives, IT professionals, and line of business people worldwide. Research covered cloud computing, information security, storage, internet of things, digital transformation, AI and machine learning, data and analytics, and other emerging technologies.
- "451 Group/The - Company Profile and News". Bloomberg Markets. Retrieved May 12, 2020.
- "The Uptime Institute Sold to 451 Group". Data Center Knowledge.
- Company Overview of The 451 Group LLC at investing.businessweek.com
- "Leading Technology-Industry Analyst Company The 451 Group Acquires ChangeWave Research".
- "Tech Touchstone acquired by US-based group".
- "451 Group buys Yankee Group from Alta Communications".
- "ISSA Selects Wisegate, a 451 Research Community, as Peer Networking Platform for CISO's".
- "S&P Global Acquires 451 Research, LLC". Cision PR Newswire. December 6, 2019.
- Hwaiyu Geng (2014). Data Center Handbook. p. 243. ISBN 1118937589.
 Uptime Institute professional Services. Data Center Site Infrastructure Tier Standard: ...
- "Green Data Centers Monthly Newsletter July 2010".
The Tier Classification System, as established in Tier Standard: Topology, defines ... and Certifications are provided exclusively by Uptime Institute
- Kenneth G. Brill ’66 at redlands.edu
- "Wisegate 451 - More Info".
- "AR Insights - Introduction to 451 Research" (PDF).
- "451 Research".
- "451 Alliance". Crunchbase. Retrieved May 17, 2020.