45th César Awards
|45th César Awards|
|Date||28 February 2020|
|Site||Salle Pleyel, Paris|
|Hosted by||Florence Foresti|
|Most nominations||An Officer and a Spy (12)|
The 45th César Awards ceremony, presented by the Académie des Arts et Techniques du Cinéma, will take place on 28 February 2020, at the Salle Pleyel in Paris to honour the best French films of 2019. Sandrine Kiberlain will preside, and Florence Foresti will be the host.
Controversy and protests dogged the Academy in the months running up to the ceremony. The entire board of directors of the César Academy resigned on February 13, 2020, in response to complaints over the opaqueness of the process and the powerlessness of normal Academy members, who do not vote for nor otherwise exercise any control over the leadership of the Academy. The other issue of protest was the 12 nominations received by Roman Polanski's J'Accuse (An Officer and a Spy in English), the most nominations of any eligible film. French feminists protested heaping honors on Polanski, who was convicted of statutory rape in California in 1978 but never served his sentence, and has additionally been accused of other incidents of sexual harassment.
Winners and nominees
- 25th Lumières Awards
- 10th Magritte Awards
- 32nd European Film Awards
- 92nd Academy Awards
- 73rd British Academy Film Awards
- "Communiqués de Presse: Renouvellement complet de la direction des César". L'Académie des Arts et Techniques du Cinéma (in French). February 14, 2020. Retrieved February 14, 2020.
- Dryef, Par Zineb (February 14, 2020). "Le monde du cinéma français attaque le fonctionnement des Césars". Le Monde. Retrieved February 14, 2020.
- Marshall, Alex (February 14, 2020). "Organizers of France's Oscars Resign, 2 Weeks Before Ceremony". The New York Times. Retrieved February 14, 2020.
- Alderman, Liz; Peltier, Elian (November 9, 2019). "Roman Polanski Accused of 1975 Rape". The New York Times. Retrieved February 14, 2020.
- "Roman Polanski's 'An Officer and a Spy' Leads France's Cesar Awards Nominations". The Hollywood Reporter. January 29, 2020. Retrieved January 29, 2020.
- "Polanski 'French Oscar' nomination sparks outrage". Jan 29, 2020. Retrieved Feb 14, 2020 – via www.bbc.com.
- Erbland, Kate; Erbland, Kate (Feb 11, 2020). "French Film Academy Members Call for 'Complete Overhaul' of César Awards After Weeks of Discord". Retrieved Feb 14, 2020.
- Tartaglione, Nancy; Tartaglione, Nancy (Feb 11, 2020). "French Film Academy Vows Reforms Amid Membership Backlash & As César Awards Loom Under Threat Of Protest". Retrieved Feb 14, 2020.