This article does not cite any sources. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|460 by topic|
|Ab urbe condita||1213|
|Balinese saka calendar||381–382|
|Chinese calendar||己亥年 (Earth Pig)
3156 or 3096
— to —
庚子年 (Metal Rat)
3157 or 3097
|- Vikram Samvat||516–517|
|- Shaka Samvat||381–382|
|- Kali Yuga||3560–3561|
|Iranian calendar||162 BP – 161 BP|
|Islamic calendar||167 BH – 166 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1452 before ROC
|Seleucid era||771/772 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1002–1003|
586 or 205 or −567
— to —
587 or 206 or −566
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 460.|
Year 460 (CDLX) was a leap year starting on Friday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Magnus and Apollonius (or, less frequently, year 1213 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 460 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Emperor Majorian gathers an expeditionary force (Alans and other barbarians) in Liguria, and enters Aquitaine after a long march, where he visits King Theodoric II at Toulouse.
- Majorian invades Hispania; his generals Nepotianus and Sunieric lead a Visigoth army into Gallaecia. The Suebi are defeated and Lusitania (modern Portugal) is conquered.
- King Genseric, fearing a Roman invasion, tries to negotiate a peace with Majorian, who refuses. The Vandals devastate Mauretania and Moorish warriors poison the wells.
- The Roman fleet, docked at Portus Illicitanus (near Elche) for the African campaign, is destroyed by the Vandals. Majorian is forced to sign a peace treaty and returns to Italy.
- Emperor Leo I founds the Excubitors (Imperial Guard) at Constantinople; this elite tagmatic unit (300 men) is recruited from among the warlike Isaurians (approximate date).
- The Hepthalites (White Huns) conquer the remnants of the Kushan Empire and enter India.
- A famine that will last for several years begins in the Persian Empire (approximate date).
- The remodeling of the dome of Baptistry of Neon at Ravenna (Italy) is finished.
- The Ajanta Caves (India) are completed (cut into the volcanic rock and elaborately painted).
- The seated Buddha in the Yungang Grottoes, Datong (Shanxi), is made (approximate date).
- The Coptic Orthodox Church (Egypt) splits from the Chalcedonian Orthodox Church of Alexandria.
- Gennadius I, patriarch of Constantinople, banishes Timothy II, patriarch of Alexandria.
- Budic II, king of Brittany (approximate date)
- Hilderic, king of the Vandals and Alans (approximate date)
- Romulus Augustulus, last emperor of the Western Roman Empire (approximate date)
- October 20 – Aelia Eudocia, Roman Empress and wife of Theodosius II
- Ardaric, king of the Gepids (approximate date)
- Juqu Anzhou, prince of the Chinese Xiongnu states Northern Liang