|Centuries:||4th century – 5th century – 6th century|
|Decades:||430s 440s 450s – 460s – 470s 480s 490s|
|Years:||458 459 460 – 461 – 462 463 464|
|461 by topic|
|State leaders – Sovereign states|
|Birth and death categories|
|Births – Deaths|
|Establishment and disestablishment categories|
|Establishments – Disestablishments|
|Ab urbe condita||1214|
|Chinese calendar||庚子年 (Metal Rat)
3157 or 3097
— to —
辛丑年 (Metal Ox)
3158 or 3098
|- Vikram Samvat||517–518|
|- Shaka Samvat||383–384|
|- Kali Yuga||3562–3563|
|Iranian calendar||161 BP – 160 BP|
|Islamic calendar||166 BH – 165 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1451 before ROC
|Seleucid era||772/773 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||1003–1004|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 461.|
Year 461 (CDLXI) was a common year starting on Sunday (link will display the full calendar) of the Julian calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Severinus and Dagalaiphus (or, less frequently, year 1214 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 461 for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- August 2 – Majorian is arrested near Tortona (Northern Italy) and deposed by Ricimer (magister militum) as puppet emperor.
- August 7 – Majorian is beaten and tortured for five days, and later beheaded near the Iria River (Lombardy).
- King Genseric continues the Vandal raids on the coast of Sicily and Italy. Ricimer sends an embassy to Carthage.
- Olybrius becomes second candidate for the western throne. He is the husband of Placidia held in Vandal captivity.
- November 19 – Libius Severus, Roman senator from Lucania, is declared emperor of the Western Roman Empire.
- The Visigoths under king Theodoric II recapture Septimania (Southern Gaul) after the assassination of Majorian and invade Hispania again.
- Aegidius becomes ruler over the Domain of Soissons (Gaul). He has friendly relations with the Romano-British in Brittany.
- November 10 – Pope Leo I dies at Rome, age 61 (approximate), after a 21-year reign in which he has resisted Manichaeism and defended the Church against Nestorianism. He is succeeded by Hilarius as the 46th pope.
- Mamertus is elected bishop of Vienne (Gaul).
- Hilderic, king of the Vandals (approximate date)
- Romulus Augustulus, emperor of the Western Roman Empire
- August 7 – Majorian, emperor of the Western Roman Empire
- Palladius, first bishop of Ireland (approximate date)
- November 10 – Pope Leo I