4732d Air Defense Group
|4732nd Air Defense Group|
4732d Air Defense Group Radar Station at Hopedale, Labrador
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||Air Defense Command|
|Equipment||Northrop F-89 Scorpion|
The 4732nd Air Defense Group is a discontinued United States Air Force organization. Its last assignment was with the 64th Air Division of Air Defense Command at Goose Air Force Base, Newfoundland, Canada, where it was discontinued in 1960. The group was formed in 1957 when ADC assumed responsibility for air defense of Newfoundland and Northern Canada from Northeast Air Command and controlled a fighter-interceptor squadron at Harmon and seven squadrons operating radars at dispersed locations. It was discontinued when Goose Air Defense Sector assumed responsibility for air defense of Newfoundland and Northern Canada.
The group was formed in 1957 when Air Defense Command (ADC) assumed responsibility for air defense of Newfoundland from Northeast Air Command (NEAC). It was a tenant organization at Goose AFB, a Strategic Air Command base, whose 4082nd Air Base Group (later 4082nd Combat Support Group) assumed host base duties from NEAC. it controlled both radar and fighter squadrons in Canada. It was assigned the 59th Fighter-Interceptor Squadron (FIS), flying Northrop F-89 Scorpion aircraft, and the 4739th Radar Evaluation Flight, which were already stationed at Goose, and seven remote Aircraft Control & Warning Squadrons as operational elements, all of which were transferred from NEAC. The group provided air defense of northeast North America. The 4732d was discontinued in 1960 and its subordinate units were assigned to the Goose Air Defense Sector.
- Designated and organized as 4732nd Air Defense Group on 1 April 1957
- Discontinued on 1 April 1960
- 64th Air Division, 1 April 1957 – 1 April 1960
- Goose AFB, Newfoundland, Canada, 1 April 1957 – 1 April 1960
- F-89J 1957-1960
- List of USAF Aerospace Defense Command General Surveillance Radar Stations
- Aerospace Defense Command Fighter Squadrons
- List of United States Air Force aircraft control and warning squadrons
- Cornett, Lloyd H; Johnson, Mildred W (1980). A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization, 1946-1980 (PDF). Peterson AFB, CO: Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center. p. 89.
- Abstract, History of 64th Air Div, Apr 1957-Dec 1957 (accessed 19 Jan 2012)
- Cornett & Johnson, p.117
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (PDF) (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. p. 233. ISBN 0-405-12194-6.
- Cornett & Johnson, p. 97
- Cornett & Johnson, p. 105
- Cornett & Johnson, p. 106
- Cornett & Johnson, p. 176. The flight was reassigned from NEAC's 64th Air Division and redesignated from 6630th Radar Evaluation Flight
- Cornett, Lloyd H; Johnson, Mildred W (1980). A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization, 1946–1980 (PDF). Peterson AFB, CO: Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center.
- Leonard, Barry (2009). History of Strategic Air and Ballistic Missile Defense (PDF). , Vol II, 1955-1972. Fort McNair, DC: Center for Military History. ISBN 978-1-4379-2131-1.
- Maurer, Maurer, ed. (1982) . Combat Squadrons of the Air Force, World War II (PDF) (reprint ed.). Washington, DC: Office of Air Force History. ISBN 0-405-12194-6.
- Winkler, David F.; Webster, Julie L (1997). Searching the skies: The legacy of the United States Cold War Defense Radar Program. Champaign, IL: US Army Construction Engineering Research Laboratories. LCCN 97020912.