48th World Science Fiction Convention
|ConFiction, the 48th World Science Fiction Convention|
Netherlands Congress Centre, now World Forum
|Venue||Netherlands Congress Centre|
|Inaugurated||23–27 August 1990|
The 48th World Science Fiction Convention (Worldcon), was ConFiction, which was held in The Hague, Netherlands 23rd-27 August 1990 at the Netherlands Congress Centre. This convention was one of the two Worldcons held in continental Europe, the other being the 28th World Science Fiction Convention held in West Germany.
The guests of honour for the convention were Joe Haldeman, Wolfgang Jeschke and Harry Harrison, with Chelsea Quinn Yarbro as Toastmaster and Andrew I. Porter as Fan Guest of Honour. The organising committee was chaired by Kees van Toorn. The total membership of the convention was 3580, despite the preparations for the Gulf war which deterred many Americans from traveling.
This was the first Worldcon after the fall of the Berlin Wall, so was the first convention which many fans, writers and editors from Eastern European countries were able to attend. The convention was opened by the then Minister of Cultural Affairs of the Netherlands, and the Hugos were presented by the U.S. Ambassador to the Netherlands.
The Hugo Awards, named after Hugo Gernsback, are presented every year for the best science fiction or fantasy works and achievements of the previous year. Results are based on the ballots submitted by members of the World Science Fiction Society. Other awards, including the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer, are also presented each year at Worldcon.
- Best Novel: Hyperion by Dan Simmons
- Best Novella: "The Mountains of Mourning" by Lois McMaster Bujold
- Best Novelette: "Enter a Soldier. Later: Enter Another" by Robert Silverberg
- Best Short Story: "Boobs" by Suzy McKee Charnas
- Best Non-Fiction Book: The World Beyond the Hill by Alexei & Cory Panshin
- Best Dramatic Presentation: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Best Professional Editor: Gardner Dozois
- Best Professional Artist: Don Maitz
- Best Original Artwork: cover of Rimrunners by Don Maitz
- Best Semiprozine: Locus (Charles N. Brown, ed.)
- Best Fanzine: The Mad 3 Party (Leslie Turek, ed.)
- Best Fan Writer: Dave Langford
- Best Fan Artist: Stu Shiffman
47th World Science Fiction Convention
Noreascon 3 in Boston, United States (1989)
|List of Worldcons
48rd World Science Fiction Convention
ConFiction in The Hague, Netherlands (1990)
49th World Science Fiction Convention
Chicon V in Chicago, United States (1991)