49th Berlin International Film Festival
|Opening film||Aimée & Jaguar|
|Closing film||Porgy and Bess|
|Awards||Golden Bear (The Thin Red Line)|
|Number of films||206 films|
|Festival date||February 10 – 21, 1999|
The 49th annual Berlin International Film Festival was held from February 10 to 21, 1999. The festival opened with Aimée & Jaguar by Max Färberböck. The Golden Bear was awarded to Canadian-American film The Thin Red Line directed by Terrence Malick.
The retrospective dedicated to Austrian-American theatre and film director Otto Preminger was shown at the festival. 70 mm version of Preminger's 1959 musical film Porgy and Bess served as the closing night film.
The following people were announced as being on the jury for the festival:
- Ángela Molina (Head of the Jury)
- Ken Adam
- Paulo Branco
- Assi Dayan
- Pierre-Henri Deleau
- Katja von Garnier
- Hellmuth Karasek
- Jeroen Krabbé
- Michelle Yeoh
Films in competition
|English title||Original title||Director(s)||Country|
|8mm||8mm||Joel Schumacher||USA, Germany|
|Aimée & Jaguar||Max Färberböck||Germany|
|The Color of Lies||Au coeur du mensonge||Claude Chabrol||France|
|Breakfast of Champions||Breakfast of Champions||Alan Rudolph||USA|
|It All Starts Today||Ça commence aujourd'hui||Bertrand Tavernier||France|
|Cookie's Fortune||Cookie's Fortune||Robert Altman||USA|
|Emporte-moi||Léa Pool||Switzerland, Canada, France|
|Between Your Legs||Entre las piernas||Manuel Gómez Pereira||Spain, France|
|eXistenZ||eXistenZ||David Cronenberg||Canada, UK, France|
|Glória||Glória||Manuela Viegas||Portugal, France, Spain|
|Journey to the Sun||Güneşe Yolculuk||Yeşim Ustaoğlu||Turkey, Netherlands, Germany|
|The Hi-Lo Country||The Hi-Lo Country||Stephen Frears||USA, UK, Germany|
|Karnaval||Thomas Vincent||France, Germany, Belgium, Switzerland|
|Keiho||39 keihō dai sanjūkyū jō||Yoshimitsu Morita||Japan|
|Mifune's Last Song||Mifune||Søren Kragh-Jacobsen||Denmark, Sweden|
|The Girl of Your Dreams||La niña de tus ojos||Fernando Trueba||Spain|
|Playing by Heart||Playing by Heart||Willard Carroll||USA, UK|
|Ordinary Heroes||Ann Hui||Hong Kong, China|
|Shakespeare in Love||Shakespeare in Love||John Madden||USA, UK|
|Simon Magus||Simon Magus||Ben Hopkins||USA, UK, France, Germany, Italy|
|The Thin Red Line||The Thin Red Line||Terrence Malick||Canada, USA|
|Three Seasons||Tony Bui||USA, Vietnam|
|Urban Feel||Jonathan Sagall||Israel|
† Winner of the main award for best film in its section The opening and closing films are screened during the opening and closing ceremonies respectively.
The following prizes were awarded by the Jury:
- Golden Bear: The Thin Red Line by Terrence Malick
- Silver Bear - Special Jury Prize: Mifune by Søren Kragh-Jacobsen
- Silver Bear for Best Director: Stephen Frears for The Hi-Lo Country
- Silver Bear for Best Actress: Maria Schrader and Juliane Köhler for Aimée & Jaguar
- Silver Bear for Best Actor: Michael Gwisdek for Nachtgestalten
- Silver Bear for an outstanding single achievement: Marc Norman and Tom Stoppard for Shakespeare in Love
- Silver Bear for an outstanding artistic contribution: David Cronenberg for eXistenZ
- Honourable Mention:
- Alfred Bauer Prize: Karnaval by Thomas Vincent
- Blue Angel Award: Güneşe Yolculuk by Yeşim Ustaoğlu
- Honorary Golden Bear: Shirley MacLaine
- Berlinale Camera:
- "PROGRAMME 1999". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 9 June 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "49th Berlin International Film Festival". berlinale.de. Retrieved 2012-01-28.
- "Urban Feel: The Berlin Film Festival Says Goodbye to the Old West on its Way to a New Home". nitrateonline.com. Archived from the original on 10 November 2007. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "PRIZES & HONOURS 1999". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 9 June 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- "RETROSPECTIVE". Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- "Berlin Draws Line". nitrateonline.com. Archived from the original on 10 November 2007. Retrieved 1 September 2014.
- "JURIES 1999". berlinale.de. Archived from the original on 9 June 2014. Retrieved 9 June 2014.
- 49th Berlin International Film Festival 1999
- 1999 Berlin International Film Festival
- Berlin International Film Festival:1999 at Internet Movie Database