49th Street (BMT Broadway Line)
|New York City Subway rapid transit station|
West 49th Street & Seventh Avenue|
New York, NY 10019
|Line||BMT Broadway Line|
N (all times) |
Q (late nights only)
R (all except late nights)
W (weekdays only)
|Transit connections||New York City Bus: M7, M20, M50, M104|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Opened||July 10, 1919|
|Accessible||Partially ADA-accessible (northbound only)|
|Passengers (2017)||8,626,669 1.5%|
|Rank||38 out of 425|
|Next north||57th Street–Seventh Avenue: N Q R W|
|Next south||Times Square–42nd Street: N Q R W|
none: N W |
Lexington Avenue–63rd Street: N Q R
Queens Plaza: R
southbound platform not accessible|
Next accessible station southbound: Times Square–42nd Street: N Q R W
49th Street is a local station on the BMT Broadway Line of the New York City Subway. Located at West 49th Street and Seventh Avenue in Midtown Manhattan, it is served by the N train at all times, the R train at all times except late nights, the W train on weekdays, and the Q train during late nights.
(Elevator at northeast corner of 49th Street and Seventh Avenue for northbound trains only)
|Side platform, doors will open on the right|
|Southbound local||← ( late nights) toward Coney Island–Stillwell Avenue (Times Square–42nd Street)|
← weekdays toward Whitehall Street–South Ferry (Times Square–42nd Street)
← toward Bay Ridge–95th Street (Times Square–42nd Street)
|Southbound express||← does not stop here (all except late nights)|
|Northbound express||→ does not stop here (all except late nights) →|
|Northbound local||→ ( weekdays) toward Astoria–Ditmars Boulevard (57th Street–Seventh Avenue) →|
→ toward 96th Street late nights (57th Street–Seventh Avenue) →
→ toward Forest Hills–71st Avenue (57th Street–Seventh Avenue) →
|Side platform, doors will open on the right|
49th Street was originally built in the same style as the other BMT Broadway stations but underwent an experimental renovation in October 1973. New tiling of red glazed brick was installed over the original BMT-style tiled walls, reducing the platforms' widths by several inches; in addition, special ceiling soundproofing and terrazzo flooring were installed. Since the renovation, three of the four street entrances have been reconstructed, leaving only the 47th Street exit on the southbound platform with the red brick appearance; additionally, the soundproofing experiment was not repeated at any other station. Additional false brick tiles were added some time after the 1973 renovation, indicating the presence of a station facility. A passageway leading to an exit at West 47th Street and Broadway was also added after the renovation. Also, one of the staircases on the southbound side is walled off, making only one staircase available to the southbound side. Yellow tactile treads on both platforms' edges were installed in 2015.
South of this station, the downtown local track descends slightly before ascending again. This is due to Broadway and Seventh Avenue intersecting at the narrow point of Times Square under 45th Street. As a result, the downtown local track of the BMT Broadway Line has to cross beneath the uptown local track of the IRT Broadway–Seventh Avenue Line.
There are four sets of platform-level fare controls, with no crossover or crossunder. Each platform has a full-time booth at the north end (49th Street) and a part-time booth at the south end (47th Street). Only the northbound platform is ADA-accessible. An elevator was constructed in conjunction with a new office tower at the northeast corner of West 49th Street and Seventh Avenue. The elevator conceals an out-of-system underground passageway leading to Rockefeller Center and the 47th–50th Streets station on the IND Sixth Avenue Line.
- One stair and one elevator, within 745 7th Avenue building, NE corner of 7th Avenue and 49th Street (northbound only)
- One stair, within 1626 Broadway building, NW corner of 7th Avenue and 49th Street (southbound only)
- One stair, on street, SW corner of 7th Avenue and 49th Street (southbound only)
- One stair, within Palace Theatre building, SE corner of 7th Avenue and 47th Street (northbound only)
- Two stairs, on street underneath 2 Times Square building, north side of 47th Street between Broadway and 7th Avenue (southbound only)
- Legislative Documents. J.B. Lyon Company. January 1, 1920.
- "Station Developers' Information". Metropolitan Transportation Authority. Retrieved June 13, 2017.
- "NYC Subway Wireless – Active Stations". Transit Wireless Wifi. Retrieved May 18, 2016.
- "Facts and Figures: Annual Subway Ridership 2012–2017". Metropolitan Transportation Authority. July 12, 2018. Retrieved July 12, 2018.
- Adler, Jerry (May 13, 1993). Tower of Debt. New York Magazine. New York Media, LLC. p. 46. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- "TIMES SQ. STATION ON A NEW PLAN; Broadway Association Will Urge Linking Up of All Lines by Two-Level Tracks". The New York Times. May 2, 1913. Retrieved July 31, 2018.
- "MTA Neighborhood Maps: Midtown West" (PDF). mta.info. Metropolitan Transportation Authority. 2015. Retrieved December 11, 2015.
- nycsubway.org – BMT Broadway Subway: 49th Street
- Station Reporter — N Train
- Station Reporter — R Train
- 49th Street entrance from Google Maps Street View
- 47th Street and Seventh Avenue entrance from Google Maps Street View
- 47th Street and Broadway entrance from Google Maps Street View
- Platforms from Google Maps Street View
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 49th Street (BMT Broadway Line).|