It is a single page with a short text. Column 1 (right hand) is damaged and requires some interpretative restoration. Column 2 (left hand) begins:
- "He will be called the Son of God, and they will call him the Son of the Most High like a shooting star."
- "[X] shall be great upon the earth. [O King all (people) shall] make [peace], and all shall serve [Him. He shall be called the Son of] the [G]reat [God], and by His Name shall He be hailed (as) the Son of God, and they shall call Him Son of the Most High like a shooting star."
In both we are told here and Luke that he will be "great"; that he will be "called" "Son of the Most High" and "Son of God."
- Fitzmyer, J A. 4Q246 The "Son of God" Document from Qumran. Biblica 1993 p153-174
- Edward Cook 4Q246 Bulletin for Biblical Research 5 (1995) 43-66
- Graphic, transcription, translation at Wordpress.com
- Hengel, Martin The Son of God: The Origin of Christology and the History of Jewish-Hellenistic Religion English translation 1976, p45
|This article related to the Hebrew Bible is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a manuscript is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|