4 P.M. (group)
|Labels||Reprise Records Next Plateau, 4PM, Pony Canyon|
|Members||Roberto Pena, Jr.
Reney "Ray" Pena
|Past members||Martiz Ware|
4 P.M. is an acronym meaning 'For Positive Music' meaning the band's music would not contain explicit lyrics, does not promote violence, and does not degrade women. The band has toured worldwide and remains popular, most notably in Japan. The group was started in 1991 in the suburbs of Baltimore, Maryland by brothers Roberto Pena, Jr. and Reney (Ray) Pena with Larry McFarland and Martiz Ware. They were originally known as IV Real,and played local talent shows.
After a 1994 performance at a record release party, they were signed by Next Plateau Records and moved to New York City. Their debut album, Now's the Time, which peaked at #96 on the Billboard Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums chart, included a cover version of Kyu Sakamoto's 1960s hit "Sukiyaki". The group's version of "Sukiyaki" peaked at #8 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart and was certified gold in 1995. It also reached the top 5 in Australia and New Zealand. Now's the Time earned gold status in Canada and Japan, and went platinum in Australia.
Their second album, 1997's A Light in the Dark, did not fare as well, but did include the minor hit "I Gave You Everything", which peaked at #67 on Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks chart.
After a brief hiatus, the group—minus Martiz Ware—regrouped and started Pena Brothers Productions. In 2000, they released a third album, For Positive Music—a mix of pop, R&B, hip hop, and Latin music—on their own 4PM label.
In 2001, they released a fourth album, Sweet Soul on the Japanese Pony Canyon label.
In 2008, they released "Tracks 4 The Mass Movement".
Larry McFarland has also recorded a solo album entitled, "The Urban Project," under the name Lil Mac.
- Jackin Boots (1991, Reprise Records)
- Now's the Time (1995, Next Plateau/PolyGram) US #126, US R&B #96
- Light in the Dark (1997, Next Plateau)
- For Positive Music (2000, 4PM)
- Sweet Soul (2001, Pony Canyon International)
- Tracks 4 The Mass Movement (2008, 4PM)
- "Sukiyaki" (CD & cassette single, 1995, London Records) #8 US, #3 Australia, #5 New Zealand
- "Lay Down Your Love" (CD & cassette single, 1995, London Records) #31 Australia
- "Years from Here" (CD & cassette single, 15 August 1995, London Records)
- "I Gave You Everything" (CD single, 25 March 1997, Next Plateau)