4 Pics 1 Word
|4 Pics 1 Word|
LOTUM GmbH (iOS/Android)
LOTUM GmbH (iOS/Android)
|Release||February 13, 2013|
|Genre(s)||Word game, puzzle|
4 Pics 1 Word's gameplay is very simple: each level displays four pictures linked by one word - the player's aim is to work out what the word is, from a set of letters given below the pictures. The game is said to follow the "freemium" model: although the game is free, microtransactions are available to help the user progress through the game more quickly.
The game is written from an English dialect perspective, as well as contains some unfamiliar words, causing some people to turn to cheating sites or apps to get the correct answers. According to psychology PhD Jamie Madigan, “people are more likely to cheat when they are anonymous and that they’ll cheat less the more they are connected to other gamers — the more, in other words, that they are known.”.
An update in April 2013 added in-game ads, which can be removed with an in-game purchase.
During January 2015 the daily puzzles have been given an overhaul by making each month based on countries or seasonal events like Christmas, Halloween and Easter. The players are rewarded with badges relating to the month's current theme after they finish a certain amount of puzzles in a month.
4 Pics 1 Word has received mostly positive reviews. PC Advisor gave the Android version 4/5, praising its entertainment value, but stating that the social aspect could be improved. Pocket-lint featured it as their "App of the Day" on the 25th February 2013, praising both its simplicity, and its social aspect. What Mobile also gave it 4/5, praising its simplicity and execution, whilst criticizing its frequency of highlighting the "hint" button. As of March 21, 2013, the game is ranked 4th out of all free iPhone apps and Android apps, according to AppData.
- "4 Pics 1 Word (What's The Word?) review". PC Advisor. February 12, 2013. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- Davison, Pete (February 20, 2013). "4 Pics 1 Word (iOS/Android) review". Inside Social Games. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "4 Pics 1 Word: countless time spent playing this game". Android Central. February 21, 2013. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "WHY PEOPLE CHEAT AT WORD GAMES". WordPlays.com. Retrieved January 7, 2017.
- "4 Pics 1 Word Answers". Retrieved January 7, 2017.
- "4 Pics 1 Word for iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad". iTunes.apple.com. 26 June 2013. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- "4 Pics 1 Word (What's The Word?) review: Our Verdict". PC Advisor. February 12, 2013. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "APP OF THE DAY: 4 Pics 1 Word review (Android/iPhone)". Pocket-lint. February 25, 2013. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- Walls, Alex (February 19, 2013). "Game Review: 4 Pics, 1 Word". What Mobile. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "AppData - Application Analytics for Facebook, iOS and Android". WebMediaBrands Inc. Retrieved March 21, 2013.