4motion is a registered trademark of Volkswagen AG, used exclusively on Volkswagen-branded automobiles with four-wheel drive (4WD) systems. Volkswagen has previously used the term "Syncro" for its 4WD models.
Of the Volkswagen Group's other marques, the "quattro" nomenclature is used for 4WD Audi cars. Sister companies Škoda simply uses the nomenclature "4x4" after the model name, whereas Porsche merely uses "4".
None of the above trademarks are specific to any particular 4WD system or technology being employed. Generally, Volkswagen would use Haldex Traction clutch system on their "4motion" transverse engined cars. For longitudinal engined cars, they would use a Torsen differential-based 4WD system or lockable centre differential instead.
- 4Matic - a four-wheel drive system from Mercedes-Benz
- All-Trac - a four-wheel drive system from Toyota
- ATTESA - a four-wheel drive system from Nissan
- S-AWC - a torque vectoring four-wheel drive system from Mitsubishi Motors
- Symmetrical All Wheel Drive - the four wheel drive system from Subaru
- "Volkswagen Transporter the first 60 years" Haynes Publishing, R. A. Cropping with Brian Screaton, 2009, ISBN 978-1-84425-579-5 page268
- "Katalog Der Automobile Revue 2008", Benteli Hallwag Druck AG, ISBN 978-3-905386-08-0
- "4Motion - Transmissions & Drivetrains - Volkswagen UK". Volkswagen UK. Retrieved 22 April 2018.