5.8S ribosomal RNA
|5.8S ribosomal RNA|
|RNA type||Gene; rRNA|
In molecular biology the 5.8S ribosomal RNA (5.8S rRNA) is a non-coding RNA component of the large subunit of the eukaryotic ribosome and so plays an important role in protein translation. It is transcribed by RNA polymerase I as part of the 45S precursor that also contains 18S and 28S rRNA. Its function is thought to be in ribosome translocation. It is also known to form covalent linkage to the p53 tumour suppressor protein. 5.8S rRNA can be used as a reference gene for miRNA detection..The 5.8S ribosomal RNA is used to better understand other rRNA processes and pathways in the cell.
5.8S rRNA structure is approximately 150 nucleotides in size and it consists of plenty of folded strands, some of which are presumed to be single stranded. This ribosomal RNA works in sync with the 28S rRNA molecule in various ways, i.e in the folding of the 5.8S rRNA molecule structure. The 5.8S and 28S rRNA have both an ITS 1 and ITS 2 (Internal transcribed spacer) and a 5’ and 3’ ETS (External transcribed spacer) that is between them.  The ITS and ETS are necessary because they must be cleaved in order for the 3’ end of the 5.8S rRNA to be formed; thus, maturing the rRNA. This is accomplished through a continuous cleavage pathway performed by both endonuclease and exonuclease enzymes, cutting the spacers at specific locations.
- Abou, Elela S; Nazar RN (1997). "Role of the 5.8S rRNA in ribosome translocation". Nucleic Acids Res. 25 (9): 1788–1794. doi:10.1093/nar/25.9.1788. PMC . PMID 9108162.
- Fontoura, BM; Atienza CA; Sorokina EA; Morimoto T; Carroll RB (1997). "Cytoplasmic p53 polypeptide is associated with ribosomes". Mol Cell Biol. 17 (6): 3146–3154. PMC . PMID 9154813.
- Shi R, Chiang VL (October 2005). "Facile means for quantifying microRNA expression by real-time PCR". BioTechniques. 39 (4): 519–25. doi:10.2144/000112010. PMID 16235564. Retrieved 2010-09-15.
- Nazar, Ross N. (1984). "The ribosomal 5.8S RNA: eukaryotic adaptation or processing variant?". Canadian Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology. 62 (6): 311–320.
- Walker, Thomas A.; Pace, Norman R. (June 1983). "5.8S Ribosomal RNA" (PDF). Cell. 33: 320–322.
- "An overview of pre-ribosomal RNA prcoessing in eukaryotes". WIREs RNA. 6 (2): 225–242. 27 Oct 2014. doi:10.1002/wrna.1269.
|This molecular or cell biology article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|