|Origin||London, United Kingdom|
|Past members||Tina Charles|
5000 Volts is the name of a British disco recording act that achieved success throughout Europe during the 1970s. The group consisted of vocalists Tina Charles and Martin Jay, with a changing group of session musicians.
They released several singles in the mid-1970s, but did not achieve success until radio stations began playing the B-side to their 1975 single, "Bye Love". The song, "I'm on Fire", was released in its own right and became a major hit throughout Europe, peaking at number 4 on the UK Singles Chart; and at number 1 on the German Top100 Singles chart and the Swedish chart and also number 10 in South Africa. It was also a major top 10 hit in Australia and charted in the United States where it reached number 26, heavily struggling against Jim Gilstrap's version of the song which hit #78.
Although Tina Charles provided the vocals, she was not publicly acknowledged as the group's singer and for the band's 1975 appearance on BBC Television's Top of the Pops they were fronted by singer/actress Luan Peters (best remembered for her role as Raylene Miles, an Australian tourist in an episode of Fawlty Towers), first broadcast in 1979.
In 1975 the group was expanded by record producer Tony Eyers into a permanent five piece, with the inclusion of Martin Cohen (bass and vocals), Kevin Wells (drums) and Mike Nelson (keyboards). Subsequent singles failed to attract widespread interest in the UK, although the group became popular in South Africa and Germany. Charles left the group after a dispute with the record label and continued with her solo career. She was replaced by Linda Kelly.
In 2012 Tina Charles and Martin Jay re-united to record some of their hits as well as some well known classics. The album 'Reunited' was the result of their reunion.
- 1976 5000 Volts (Philips Records 9109-215)
- 1997 5000 Volts (Rem!nd Records 5300211 - The Netherlands, compilation)
- 2012 Reunited
- 1974 "Fly Away" / "Susanna In The Summer" (Epic Records EPC 2369) - mainland Europe, released as Airbus
- 1975 "Bye Love" / "I'm On Fire" (Epic Records EPC 3359) - mainland Europe, released as Airbus
- 1975 "I'm On Fire" / "Still On Fire" (Philips Records 6006-464)
- 1976 "Bye Love" / "Look Out I'm Coming" (Philips Records 6006-501)
- 1976 "Motion Man" / "Bye Love" (Philips 6006-509)
- 1976 "Doctor Kiss Kiss" / "Thunderfire" (Philips Records 6006-533)
- 1976 "Light The Flame Of Love" / "One Stop Baby" (Philips Records 6006-550 - The Netherlands)
- 1976 "Look Out I'm Coming" / "One Stop Baby" (Philips Records 6006-553)
- 1977 "Take Me Back" / "Come Hear The Music" (Philips Records 6006-560)
- 1977 "(Walkin' On A) Love Cloud" / "The Late Late Show" (Philips Records 6006-567)
- 1977 "Can't Stop Myself From Loving You" / "You're Lookin' Good" (Philips Records 6006-584)