503d Aircraft Control and Warning Group
This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|503d Aircraft Control and Warning Group|
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Type||Air Defense Warning and Control|
|Part of||Air Defense Command
First Air Force
26th Air Division
The 503d Aircraft Control and Warning Group (AC&WG) is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last assignment was with Air Defense Command (ADC)'s 26th Air Division at Roslyn AFS New York. It was inactivated in 1952.
Activated as an ADC Aircraft Control and Warning Group, forming radar squadrons in the late 1940s and the early 1950s and deploying them around the New York, New Jersey area under First Air Force and the 26th Air Division. On 16 April 1950, the reserve 563d Aircraft Control and Warning Group was activated as a Corollary unit at Roslyn, sharing the 503d's equipment and facilities. The 563d was called to active duty on 2 June 1951 and was inactivated, with its personnel used as fillers for the 503d.
- Constituted as the 503d Aircraft Warning Group, 1 April 1948
- Activated on 1 April 1948
- Redesignated 503d Aircraft Control and Warning Group, 6 December 1949
- Inactivated on 6 February 1952
- Disbanded on 21 September 1984.
- 26th Air Division, 16 November 1948 – 6 February 1952
- Fort Slocum (later, Slocum AFB), 1 April 1948
- Roslyn AFS, New York, 1 January 1951 – 6 February 1952
- List of USAF Aerospace Defense Command General Surveillance Radar Stations
- Aerospace Defense Command Fighter Squadrons
- List of United States Air Force aircraft control and warning squadrons
- Cornett, Lloyd H; Johnson, Mildred W (1980). A Handbook of Aerospace Defense Organization, 1946-1980 (PDF). Peterson AFB, CO: Office of History, Aerospace Defense Center.
- Grant, C.L., The Development of Continental Air Defense to 1 September 1954, (1961), USAF Historical Study No. 126
- Winkler, David F; Webster, Julie L (1997). Searching the skies: the legacy of the United States Cold War Defense Radar Program. Champaign, IL: US Army Construction Engineering Research Laboratories. LCCN 97020912.