CLRV #4059 heads north on Main Street
towards the eastern terminus
|Locale||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Termini||Main Street Station (East)
High Park Loop (West)
|Daily ridership||39,601 (2014)|
|Operator(s)||Toronto Transit Commission|
|Line length||14.815 km (9.21 mi) |
|Track gauge||4 ft 10 7⁄8 in (1,495 mm) - TTC Gauge|
|Electrification||600 VDC Overhead|
The 506 Carlton (occasionally known as the College streetcar) a streetcar line run by the Toronto Transit Commission in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. A part of the Toronto streetcar system, it runs from Main Street Station to High Park. Despite the route's name, less than 10% of its length actually uses Carlton Street.
The Carlton line runs from the eastern terminus of Main Street Station, initially heading south on Main to Gerrard Street East. It then turns west onto Gerrard St. E. and runs to Parliament Street where it turns north to Carlton Street. The streetcar goes west on Carlton, which turns into College Street at Yonge Street. There, it passes College subway station. Continuing west, it passes Queen's Park subway station as it makes its way to the end of College Street at Dundas Street West. It then runs west on Dundas Street West to Howard Park Avenue, which it follows into its western terminus in High Park.
On a daily basis, some eastbound cars may short turn at Coxwell Avenue, and head southbound to loop at Queen Street East and Coxwell Avenue.
Streetcar service is provided 24 hours per day on most portions of the route. The late night trips operate as the 306 Carlton, which runs along the same route from the eastern terminus of Main Street Station to Dundas Street West. From there, it continues west along Dundas Street West to Dundas West Station, skipping Howard Park Avenue.
Sites along the line (from east to west)
- Little India (between Greenwood and Coxwell)
- East Chinatown (between Carlaw and Broadview)
- Don River
- Cabbagetown (between Don River and Parliament Street)
- Regent Park (between River and Shuter)
- Allan Gardens (between Sherbourne and Jarvis)
- Maple Leaf Gardens (at Church)
- College Park mall (at Yonge)
- Toronto Police headquarters (at Bay)
- Queen's Park (at University)
- Toronto General Hospital (at University)
- University of Toronto (between University and Spadina)
- Kensington Market (at Spadina)
- Little Italy (between Bathurst and Ossington)
- Roncesvalles (at Roncesvalles Avenue)
- High Park (western terminus)
- TTC Open Data (September 2014). "TTC Ridership - All Day Weekday for Surface Routes". Toronto Transit Commission. Retrieved 1 January 2017.
- Toronto Transit Commission (September 18, 2009). "TTC Service Summary" (PDF).
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 506 Carlton.|