This article does not cite any sources. (May 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Millennium:||1st millennium BC|
|50 BC by topic|
|Gregorian calendar||50 BC|
|Ab urbe condita||704|
|Ancient Egypt era||XXXIII dynasty, 274|
|- Pharaoh||Cleopatra VII, 2|
|Ancient Greek era||182nd Olympiad, year 3|
|Balinese saka calendar||N/A|
|Chinese calendar||庚午年 (Metal Horse)|
2647 or 2587
— to —
辛未年 (Metal Goat)
2648 or 2588
|Coptic calendar||−333 – −332|
|Ethiopian calendar||−57 – −56|
|- Vikram Samvat||7–8|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||3051–3052|
|Iranian calendar||671 BP – 670 BP|
|Islamic calendar||692 BH – 691 BH|
|Minguo calendar||1961 before ROC|
|Seleucid era||262/263 AG|
|Thai solar calendar||493–494|
77 or −304 or −1076
— to —
78 or −303 or −1075
Year 50 BC was a year of the pre-Julian Roman calendar. At the time, it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Paullus and Marcellus (or, less frequently, year 704 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 50 BC for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Consuls: Lucius Aemilius Paullus and Gaius Claudius Marcellus Minor.
- The Senate refuses Julius Caesar permission to stand for consul in absentia, and demands that he lay down his command.
- The Roman artillery piece called Scorpio is invented.
- Initiation Rites of the Cult of Bacchus, detail of a wall painting in the Villa of the Mysteries, Pompeii, is made (approximate date).
- The Roman Republic takes control of Judea (approximate date).
- Antonia, daughter of Mark Antony
- Gaius Antistius Vetus, Roman consul (d. 1 AD)
- Shammai, Jewish scholar and rabbi (d. 30 AD)
- The Asterix comic books are all set around this year.