50 Moganshan Road
Interior of M50
|Public transit access||Zhongtan Road|
50 Moganshan Road (Chinese: 莫干山路50号) or "M50" is a contemporary art district in Shanghai, China, that houses a thriving community of more than a hundred artists whose studios are open to the public. It is often compared with New York's SoHo and Beijing's 798 Art Zone. The art quarter has become a popular cultural attraction for local and international visitors alike, and was named among the top ten things to do in Shanghai by Time Magazine.
The name refers to its actual address in Shanghai, and is often shortened to M50 or Moganshan Road. It is tucked away in an old industrial area along the Suzhou Creek. The art quarter is located in industrial and residential Putuo District, but conveniently close to downtown Jing'an District.
50 Moganshan Road was once the Chunming Slub Mill. The art scene was started in 2000 by local artist Xue Song who was initially attracted by the cheap rent of the disused industrial space. Other artists including Ding Yi, Qu Fengguo, and Wang Xingwei, soon followed. Today the quarter’s former factories and warehouses have been converted into art galleries, artists’ studios, design agencies and other visual art and cultural businesses of various sizes. The land and buildings are still owned by Shangtex, the state-owned textile group that operated the now defunct factory.
Artists and galleries
M50 hosts over 120 galleries and art studios. Some of Shanghai's best known artists work here, including Zhou Tiehai, Ding Yi, Yelan, Xu Zhen and the media art collective Liu Dao. Galleries include ShanghART, EastLink Gallery, island6, Pantocrator Gallery, and Biz Art.
Island6 arts centre in the M50 art district.
- West Bund Art & Design
- Power Station of Art
- Rockbund Art Museum
- Long Museum
- China Art Museum
- Museum of Contemporary Art Shanghai
- Shanghai Museum
- 798 Art Zone
- Moganshan Lu Archived 2011-02-14 at the Wayback Machine..
- Pitts, Christopher (April 2013). "Top Sights: M50". Pocket Shanghai (3rd ed.). Lonely Planet. pp. 86–87. ISBN 978-1-74179-963-7.
- Shanghai SoHo--50 Moganshan Road Archived 2010-08-20 at the Wayback Machine..
- Shanghai: 10 Things to Do, Time Magazine.
- Shanghai’s Blossoming Arts District Archived 2012-01-28 at the Wayback Machine..
- Pantocrator Gallery.
- 88 MOCCA — Museum of Chinese Contemporary Art
- Art Scene China
- SHANGHART — largest gallery of the m50 Art District
- island6 Arts Center — artist-founded art space with a production site and an adjoining gallery